iPhone Some problems with widgets and apps

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ctbear, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I haven't used iOS for a few years now so bear with me if I missed something. Just got my new iPhone and I have the following problems:

- I am a heavy Google Now user, but it is not showing all the cards that I used to see on Android. Traffic being the most important, and I made sure the cards are enabled in settings.
    - What does the "traffic condition" widget do? I don't think I have ever seen it on the shade.
    - Some of the widgets I enabled are just showing spinners forever. An example is Slice.
    - I added a Google account and turned on Calendar syncing. However it never syncs. Contacts and Mail sync correctly.
    - Swiftkey keeps telling me full access is not my enabled but it is.

Any ideas on solutions? Thanks!

2. ctbear thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Cards?

The traffic widget will tell you an approximate amount of time it takes to go to a place you commonly go to. For example, if I am at the mall it tells me how much time to drive home. On Friday nights, regardless of where I am at, it tells me how long to drive to my favorite Thai restaurant (I eat there every Friday night).

It could be slice is not set up completely or isn't functioning. The only time it showed anything for me was a new receipt in an email. Once I read the email it was not in notifications again.

No idea. I know there are issues with Gmail sync for some too.

No idea on that either. SwiftKey did that to me when I first installed it but it never repeated again. Make sure that once you select the keyboard in settings that you select the keyboard from the list and select enable full access too. (I realize you said you did that, but it doesn't hurt to double check:)

4. ctbear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I returned the 6 and got a 6+, and somehow some of the issues I had went away :/

Each piece of information (like weather, sports scores, movie times) in Google Now is called a card. I have never seen a traffic card appear even though it is enabled.

Is there a place I can set these common places? I still haven't seen this widget appear after 2 days of use.

It is working somehow after I switched to 6+. No idea.

Same for this. Calendar is syncing fine now.

I gave up and went back to the stock keyboard. I guess I should wait until they mature :eek:

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

it will take more time for it to learn your schedule. You can see your frequent locations in settings -> privacy -> location services -> system services -> frequent locations

Depending on how erratic your schedule is it could take a week or two.

You can also add your home and work addresses to your contact info.