some psu advice please....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie1984, Feb 18, 2010.

1. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

hi guys,......

on my macpro the psu makes a pretty loud humming noise, not a fan noise.... like a buzzing noise... sounds like an electrical type sound......

does anyone elses make any noise?? im worried its going to go bang and take out my hard drives etc....

i really hope i dont have problems with this machine.... had enough aggro thanks to 27" imacs

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The psu on my 2008 Mac Pro started buzzing. The sound came from where the power cord plugs into the computer. I still have applecare and apple replaced the psu, but I used the machine for awhile before getting it replaced. One of the questions they asked was whether the buzzing happened when the machine was off. I don't know what that indicates.

3. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

hmmm.....

ive tried increasing the fan speeds and sound doesnt increase so it cant be a fan...

its impossible to explain the noise to be honest!

im mainly concerned for the other components i guess.......

not sure what else i can do to test it??

ive been running the mac maxxed out today doing encoding cpu has been at 71oC most of the day! and its still holding.......

is it worth a genius appointment do you reckon? or should i just chill out a bit?

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

They can run tests to see if it's working correctly, but I know it's a hassle to bring it in. My apple center was able to get mine back to me the same day.

5. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for that! yeah its a total pain getting it to them,

ill see how it goes i think