Some purely hypothetical questions on the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Sep 25, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

I have a normal phone right now and I will be upgrading to the iPhone 4S/5 when it comes out. I know it's necessary to get data on ATT but if I get the 250 mb plan, (I have internet at work, school and home so it's unnecessary to get 2 gb.) will it let me know before I go over? Or will it automatically stop when I hit my 250? I just don't want to get hit with those stupid crazy high overage data fees. Also, presuming that the iPhone can be unlocked, can I use it in Australia, Taiwan, and Europe? (I travel a lot but I've never had a phone out of the States.) Also, I can use iMessage internationally without getting hit with roaming if I'm on O2 or Rogers since it's using Wi-Fi right? But my number might be different if I'm on a different carrier right? Or is it messaging me by my iTunes log in? Thanks!

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

AT&T sends you text messages as you hit certain usage marks. These messages are not in real time and can take 8-12 hours to be sent to your phone after you already passed a certain percentage. iMessaging uses no texting as it works off Wifi hence how it works on the iPod touch. If you use it outside of a WiFi zone I'm not so sure. And if you buy the 4S[or 5] unlocked from Apple you can use it on other carriers with no worries of it getting locked if you update.

3. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Thanks for the answers. What about going over in terms of data? Would it just stop after it hits zero?

4. bgro macrumors 6502a

Your data will not be shut off once you hit the 250MB mark if that's what you mean. You will still have the ability to use data on your iPhone and will be charged accordingly.

I believe that there's a $10 overage fee for each additional 1GB that you use.