Some question about GPU...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrNamelessIT, May 29, 2011.

1. MrNamelessIT macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

Hi Guys!

I have recently bought a new MacBook Pro 15" and I would like to ask some questions:

1) I'm using an external display, can I always use Integrated Graphics instead of Discrete one?
    2) Any suggest for a cooling station? My MBP always get hot!

Thanks!

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

1. If its a 2010 or 2011 model no
    2. I'm not really knowledgable about cooling station but i'd suggest getting an mStand or Griffin Elevator

3. MrNamelessIT thread starter macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

1) Why not?
    2) I'd prefer a cooled one

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

1. You're gonna have to ask Apple that. Once you connect the display it kicks on to the discrete GPU. If you try to force Integrated, the display won't power on and/or the laptop will ignore you and go to sleep.

2. I can't really help you there...i'd just say Google laptop coolers and see what comes up.

5. MrNamelessIT thread starter macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

Thanks ;)

P.S: I have just mailed Steve!

6. MrNamelessIT thread starter macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

I already use it, but it seems that when I use integrated graphics and plug in into extern display it goes in sleep mode

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That won't work. You have to use the dedicated GPU with an external display unless you're on a 13-inch MacBook Pro and don't have one anyway.

8. MrNamelessIT thread starter macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

Ok, now my problem is that when I plug the Mac on external display it goes very hot due to the Discrete GPU.

Any suggest to make it cold?

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you're simply referring to the temperature of the skin of your laptop, don't worry that it's getting warm, it's designed that way. Still, something such as an mStand will improve your temps as it'll allow air to transit beneath the laptop.

And it's not just the GPU – the CPU can also warm things up pretty quickly. The 2011 MBPs are simply not going to be extremely cool machines, not with a higher TDP and quad cores compared to 2010.

10. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I've been looking at this. I like Antec and this is really cheap and will fit your 15'' perfectly.

I don't even use an external display but I was thinking about getting one just to sit my 13'' on top of and game with a USB keyboard and mouse. Looks pretty sick.

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is because Apple decided to wire each GPU seperately and only the dGPU to the external display. The hardware is simply incapable of putting a picture out the Mini DisplayPort from the iGPU.
    In simple turns.
    There is a connection from the iGPU to the internal display over a multiplex chip. Another form the dGPU over mp to the internal display and one to the mini Display port.

Would they have done it the normal way like it works with Nvidia Optimus. There would need to be a connection from the chipset to both displays and the dGPU wouldn't need any direct access at all.

12. MrNamelessIT thread starter macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

Understood, thanks to all!

What do you think of Macally Ecofan Pro? Are there any liquid cooled stand?

13. Wiseeyed macrumors newbie

Just curious... what was his response?

14. MrNamelessIT thread starter macrumors newbie

MrNamelessIT

No answer at all :/