Some question about my first MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wchong, Jun 10, 2008.

1. wchong macrumors 6502

Hey guys, this is the first time i own a MBP and i had a question.

Do i really need a product like the shaggymac screen protector or no? i'll be either putting my mbp in the north face surge, or the vyper m2.

what do you guys think?

any other precautions that i need to keep the MBP nice and clean? i heard from some posters before that the hand rest area turns yellow after some use. is this true? and if so, how do you keep it from tinting?

2. wchong thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Petey07 macrumors member

4. wchong thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess i'm asking the wrong questions. So here I go again,

1) Would I need a screen protector if I carry the mbp in a backpack or the vyer m2?

2) does the MBP still stain yellow after prolonged use? If so, how do you clean it up?

3) does smcfancontrol work better than a passive/active laptop stand?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) I carry it in a backpack and have see no issues; if you're worried about smudges, well that means you shouldn't put weight on the top of the computer and a screen protector will only make it worse (thicker)

2) No unless you piss on your computer

3) It's not about working better or worse; one is free and the other isn't. If the fan controller can't resolve you issues, maybe it's your surface that's trapping the heat--time to get a stand/cooling pad.

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

1) More than anything this is preventative maintenance, or if you really have dirty hands. The "screen protector" is mainly used to prevent the oils that are on your keyboard from transferring onto the screen which can leave an imprint over time. It also protects the monitor from the dirt, dust, etc that accumulate over time in the cracks of the keyboard. If you're a clean person, I doubt you need it.

2) No, all I've seen once again, which breaks down to own personal hygiene is the aluminum pitting over time.

3) I never liked the idea on macbook pro's of manually controlling the fans, if it needs it the computer will control the speed of the fan. However, the Macbook Pro's aluminum body act's as a passive heat sink as well, so If I knew I was doing something processor/gpu intensive I'd turn on my cooler. If you intend on using it as a desktop replacement, hands down this sucker moves chucks of air. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999336

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Vyper M2 sleeve is the best-designed and most protective sleeve I've ever seen for a MBP. When I'm not traveling, I use the Apple wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse with the MBP, to minimize wear and tear on the MBP keyboard and trackpad.