Some questions about Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DPH, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DPH macrumors regular

Hello!

I recently started to use Aperture 3, instead of iPhoto, and i really like it, but i got some questions i hope people can answer for me!

1. When do you guys change the Library? or do you start a new Library when the Library have been 50 gb big or more? My Library is now 22 GB, so when are you guys changing Library?

2. One stupid question! I got a lot of family videos(VHS) converted to MPEG-4, Would you also store this in Aperture? or is this a really bad idea?(Yes i know, Aperture is for Photos)

3. How can i delete keyword tags on multiply photos?

4. What Quality and resolution are you guys using on Preveiw images in Aperture?

5. Is it possible to export all the photos in their folders as they are in Aperture?

6. How can i add an project of photos into maps?

Hope anyone can help me answer this questions!

-Daniel

2. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Ok, let's give this a go.

1. I have a new library for every three month period. So four libraries a year. I keep my current, working library on my MBP's internal SSD and the rest on an external RAID.

2. Aperture can store videos as well as photos. So this will work just fine. You might consider a separate library for your digitised family videos to keep them organised, but it will work either way.

3. Under Metadata in the menu bar you will find Remove Keywords and an option to remove all keywords.

4. I use the default of half size and a quality setting of 8.

5. Yes, just select the folder and then export the versions. But I'm not sure why you would want to. If it's for backup purposed you can use Aperture's Vaults.

6. It's a little trickier than it could be. You have to just select all the photos in the project and drag them onto the map. OR you can add one photo and then copy that location data to all the others.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

as far as libraries go, I have them split into different categories. I have four libraries; Waterfalls, mountains/deserts, urban and beaches.

4. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Personally I go by 2 year collections. But I keep my RAWs somewhere else so my library size is actually about 34-45GB for 2 years. What do you do when you shoot something else than those 4 categories?

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

well within like the Urban library, I will have folders with like "plants" or "downtown dark cityscapes" or something.