Some questions about buying a MBP in the US

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bezbozny, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bezbozny macrumors member

Hello. I would like to ask a couple of questions. A friend of mine is travelling to New Orleans at the end of this month and he s going to buy a MBP for me since the price on the US is much cheaper. I d like to buy a retina MBP 15,4", 16gb ram. I d like to ask if it is possible to find the 2,6ghz 1Tb model available or are these only BTO? He will only have 1 day so he won't be able to look around much. Do you have any recommendations as to where to go?

Thank you very much for your help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 1TB versions are BTO only. You should be able to find some 16GB rMBPs in stock though not all apple stores seems to carry them - at least when I was checking on them. Be sure to check/call before you show up.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple stores typically stock the base model, and the 100% upgraded model, with nothing in between.

Be aware that you'll have to pay import duties on any item that crosses the border, especially when they are worth that much. That may very well negate any savings you may have gotten from buying from the US in the first place.

You could have your friend unpack the whole thing and put it in his luggage and not declare it, but that would be fraud.

4. Bezbozny thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply. I m aware of this. My friend will buy it as a business equipment that allows him to put it in the company expenses and have some tax savings... So he won't have to pay import taxes and it won't be a fraud. I don't understand it exactly since finance is not my field but we won't do anything illegal.
    So what you say is that the apple store will have the 16GB 1tb 2,6 gh model available?

5. princealyy macrumors regular

You should look up stock online before your friend goes to the United States ...

That is your best bet ... Good luck.

6. Bezbozny thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your help. How can I look up the stock online? I searched the internet and couldn't find anything like that.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you add the Mac to the shopping cart on the Apple website you can pick which store you want to buy it from and it will show you if it is in stock.

You can see in my screenshot I picked a standard 13" rMBP for pickup at a Louisiana Apple Store and it shows I can pick it up today.

[​IMG]

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

I believe the configuration you're looking for is also available in stock, ready to ship from reputable 3rd-party vendors (e.g. here). Perhaps you can arrange purchase and shipment to the location where your friend is staying in New Orleans.