Some questions about buying from a store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by r0ee, Mar 11, 2008.

1. r0ee macrumors newbie

Hey all,

A friend is going to the states and I am about to ask him to bring me back MBP :)

After reading here for some time i've learned about some problems that i might encounter with my new mbp
    1) yellow screen
    2) sound from the fan
    3) problems with the speakers
    (if you know of some other popular ones i would like to know so i can ask him to check for them)

As he will be buying it in a store (might be in N.Y or Chicago ) I would like to know if its possible for him to test the laptop before he buys it... or maybe to buy it, to open it there and test it and replace it imidately in case of a problem (because his trip is going to be a very short buisness trip...)

another question i have about buying from a store - is it possible that a store has an mbp with 7200 rpm disk or is it only for bto only?
    I know it is a customized configuration but i figured that it might be a common upgrade and therefor a store might have some in stock....

He is going very soon (sometime this week) so a quick replay will be wonderfull...

p.s
    This is going to be my first mac so im very excited about this and a bit afraid since here (in israel ) the company that represents apple is new and they dont have the new models yet. So, in case of a problem with the mbp i might need to repair rather then replace (if the problem will be spotted after my friend comes back)...

wish me luck :)
    Roee.

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

1. your friend will not be able to test out his computer before he buys it. they will most likely go to the back and grab one out of inventory.

2. Yes he could take it out and turn it on, but just doing that is going to show you any problems. if there are problems with it there aren't just going to necessarily show up out of the box. worth a try though

3. i really don't think they carry 7200rpm hdd's. that is a bto option and i think that reason alone they won't carry it. they usually just stock basic models.

4. good luck with your purchase and enjoy your mac, and don't start using it to look for problems with it!!! enjoy and have fun with it, most don't have problems, but it might not seem that way from reading these forums

3. Karstan macrumors member

:eek: psst...its a mac. :eek:

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The best you can do is have your friend take it to his/her hotel and turn it on. If everything runs fine you're set to go. If not return it the same day for another one. Yes, there are MBPs that have problems but ALL computers have problems so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. r0ee thread starter macrumors newbie

dont know what you are talking about :)
    (was so tired ...:) )

6. r0ee thread starter macrumors newbie

one more questions about bto

is a glossy screen considered bto or can i find laptops with glossy screen in the shop?

7. r0ee thread starter macrumors newbie

one more thing about replace policy

if my friend finds out there is some problem with the mbp, lets say it has a dead pixel (only one), must apple replace it for him if its on the same day he bought it ?
    What if he thinks there is a problem but the genius says there isn't (like with a sound from the fan ...) ?
    is there any fee involved if he only replace it to antoher one because he isnt satisfied with the specific one he got?

Thanks
    Roee

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

9. bill hilly macrumors newbie

If your friend goes to J&R (which is where I work), he/she can test the unit out after he pays for it. He or she can take it to the returns department and ask them to help test it. If there's a physical problem (not that he or she doesn't like the color or the size of the logo or something), they will exchange it for another one.

10. r0ee thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just called the store and they have both flavors ...
    :)

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Nope, glossy is a BTO.