some questions about EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenyboy411, Feb 16, 2008.

1. greenyboy411 macrumors newbie

So my birthday present was an iphone, but because of my indecisiveness, my parents just said they would get me one when I wanted. Well my current phone has started a descent into deadness, and the addition of the 16-gigger makes me salivate. EDGE is the only thing holding me back. So now I have a few questions:
    1. Anyone in the Milwaukee area, what kind of speed do you get?
    2. Are there any tricks to get faster speeds?
    3. How does it function with different applications? (google maps, mail, ect.)
    4. Is facebook workable over it?
    5. God willing, would ichat be okay over it? Just for basic text stuff. Anyone who owned passed edge phones, I'd appreciate info.

2. dakotaiphone macrumors newbie

Google maps works well.. I don't have any benchmarks per se but they are out there. I am not disappointed for the device. It serves its purpose, but if I need serious mapping capability, the I pull out Streets and Trips 2008 (running in VMWare)

It is definitely workable. They have a reduced version for the iPhone (not so much in functionality, but easier to use on the iPhone).

As for your other questions, iChat currently isn't available. But that may come with the release of the SDK. (That is speculation). I can't speak for your area, because I live a little farther toward the East coast. My final thoughts of the device (disclaimer I have only have mine for 5 weeks), is that it serves its purpose. If I need to check a blog real quick for an update, then its great. If I need to do research I pull out my laptop. If I need "real" maps I use Streets and Trips. Overall this device is great for me. The web browsing experience is good using EDGE but when on wifi its amazingly fast. BE FOREWARNED if you are a college/university or place of employment that uses 802.1x (RADIUS authentication) the you will be stuck using EDGE as the iPhone doesn't support 802.1x yet.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I would wait until the 26th to buy anything. Theres a slight rumor of a price drop. As well as 1.1.4 and the release of the sdk.

4. greenyboy411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know about the lack of ichat. I'm wondering about whether if they add the capability, it will be workable over EDGE. thanks alot for the rest of the help though.

5. dsl4c macrumors member

edge works quite well, its no high speed Internet but it serves up webpages just fine. I use it ever day and never had many complaints. it does its job.. as to ichat, I use the iPhone version of meebo (www.meebo.com) that handles aim,yahoo,MSN, etc.. it works awesome connected to edge/wifi.. as to txting, with the iPhone, its quick, simple and the best txt phone ive ever had, faster than my old blackjack with a physical keypad..

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used the inetworktest.com as my...

test for the iPhone. You can test your iPhone on EDGE network or any WiFi that you might be connected to, then you can also compare the results over the last seven days. Currently EDGE = Avg 212 kbps and WiFi = Avg 636 kbps. You need to add the webapp to your Homescreen or you can just bookmark http://inetworktest.com :cool: