Some questions about GM if you can answer them.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Hugh, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Hi I have some really basic/dumb questions about Lion GM. That is if you can answer them.

1. How long did it take to install GM? SL took 30mins for me, is Lion longer?

2. When you did a clean install how did you do it? Extract the disk image then burned it to a disk. The question is did you boot the DVD (or what ever) then did the install? Or did you have to use another drive to install on that clean drive?

I'm just wondering what I will be looking at doing when it finally comes out on the Mac APP store.

Hugh

2. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

I've done a few of these installs; on an install from DVD to traditional HDD, installs average right around 20 mins. On installation involving a newer SSD, install times are around 15 mins; I've heard that an install from a FireWire 800 external HDD to a SSD can be even faster! These are all clean installs described above! Note, this involves burning the DMG from the app store download to the target first.

John

3. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Write the DMG image (image it to the USB in Disk Utility) and install from there, took about 15 minutes give or take

4. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks for answering odd questions. What do you mean by target first? You put it on the drive you going to be installing it on?

One more question, is it true that, there no Java installed?

Thanks!

Hugh

5. azuma macrumors newbie

Java will not install unless you run a Java-based application like jDownloader.

6. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Sorry, target just means the media where you burn the DMG to; thumb drive, DVD, external Firewrire drive, etc.

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

My install via USB Flash Drive and to an SSD, 6 Minutes for the downloading components part, 5 minutes on the actual install. Very fast.

8. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

That's what I thought what you mean, but I had to make clearer. No problems booting off the dvd, jump drive, another drive?

Hugh

9. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Nope ....

10. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Does that mean if I go to a site that requires JAVA, it will tell me I need to download JAVA? Site like POGO.com

Thanks now I just hope they keep it that way. (how to do a clean install that is)

Hugh