Some questions about HandBrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ARF900, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

So anyway Ive just got Handbrake working and have some questions. My main reason for it is that I have some DVDs I want on my MBP so I dont have to lug them around, plus I want to be able to put some on my iPhone. So my main question is what do I do with Video Quality? For my first burn I turned it all the way up to 100%, now it is doing this as I speak, so I am wondering is this necessary? How good is the quality? Also how does this affect my MBP? I have a 13" unibody I got a couple months back and doing this is the first time I have EVER heard the fans turn on, even a little bit, I mean its not terribly loud, but I noticed just the fans being on. This proccess is pretty slow, and I plan to go to bed in an hour or so. So I will probably just turn off my display and set auto sleep for 3 hours and hope thats enough...

Any other tips on Handbrake? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  3. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

Sorry but I'm a complete newb at this, how do I use the preset?

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

5. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

6. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

Ok so I just ripped one of my longer movies but I have a problem, it is out of order. It starts out right a few minutes then skips to the middle of the movie, then at the end of the movie it goes back to the end, is there anyway I can fix this or am I going to have to screen record the whole movie then edit it into the right order using iMovie?

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Most DVDs are pretty straight-forward and HB does a decent job of selecting which Title is the one you want. Nowadays there are some more complex discs which have 99 Titles in order to confuse the encoder.

The best way I have found to figure out which Title is the right one (scenes in correct order) is to actually play the DVD in your DVD player (App) and note which Title it is using. Then go back to HB and select that title to encode. Works 99% of the time. :)

8. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yeah I noticed that it had a lot of titles, thanks for the help! Ill try this when I get some spare time.