Some questions about iCloud.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImperialX, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ImperialX, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

A few quick questions that are easy to answer for people with iOS 5.

1) How can you check your E-Mails if you are not on your Mac and don't have your iOS device with you? Do you log into the MobileMe page on www.me.com?

2) Is the @me.com E-Mail storage shared with the rest of iCloud, capped at 5GB? That is seriously not a lot compared to Gmail which is constantly growing, or Hotmail and Y! which are unlimited.

3) Is the 5GB storage a central storage area that all apps can access? Or do each app still have its own storage area, totaling to 5GB?

4) Can you download things in Safari yet? It's such a common feature, I don't want to jailbreak to do it. If you can, does the file go into the cloud?

5) Can you choose to turn off iCloud in certain apps? For instance, photos. Bandwidth is precious.

Many thanks.

2. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I'm sorry about the bumping, but seriously? No one can answer these questions? :confused:

3. mannoman macrumors newbie

Some questions about iCloud

I think the reason you have not received an answer is because no one knows for sure. I think you will see Apple make modifications to the final release based on questions/concerns like yours.

I have serious concerns about security. It smacks of putting the keys of the kingdom (mine) out there, and for those who are so inclined, to 'hack' away.

I need convincing this is safe. Sounds scary to me.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm pretty sure @me mail hasn't moved from MobileMe to iCloud yet. That's probably why no one can answer you.

MobileMe is working as usual right now and we've been told it will eventually be shut down. So something's gonna change, but we don't know exactly how it's gonna work yet.

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

ive had mobileme for the last 2 years. i can safely assume youll be able to log into a computer from icloud.com to retrieve emails. we would be moving backwards if that werent the case.

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

I'll do my best to try to answer. I have only had iOS 5 for 2 days so I am not 100% sure on all the functionality...

1. As far as I can tell, you don't. As Small White Car said me.com still takes you to mobile me. I tried to log in at me.com with my iCloud credentials I created and it said something about my me.com address has already been converted to iCloud (it was never a MobileMe addy).

2. No idea at all :)

3. In the settings of my iPhone all apps are listed when you are selecting what to backup to the cloud. You can select/deselect what you want to have backed up.

4. Not that I can see.

5. Yes, see answer #3. Like I have my camera app off because it is 2.6 GB total (didn't they say that the camera roll wouldn't count towards your 5 GB?)

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

2) Rumor has it, the reason Apple capped it at 5, is so they can offer tiered pricing for those wanting more.

It's another stroke of genius on Apples part, since it should provide them with even greater profits.

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iCloud is a very scary concept since it gives Apple all of your data essentially. Sure, I already do part of it with Exchange server but iCloud security is going to be one of those hot topics this fall when the servers are unleashed to the world and all of those hackers/crackers out there. It may be one of the world's largest data centers with very valuable data. As a "free" service, it reeks of Gmail and Yahoo Mail security. Such low standards compared to an actively managed anti-spam and virus filter on the server end is like comparing a iPod 1st gen to an iPhone 4. They are really just in a completely different class.

So to try and answer the questions, I'll give a few insights.

1. iCloud.com is already reserved by apple so to read e-mails, you'll probably have an SSL encrypted login at www.icloud.com in order to read your e-mails and login to the rest of your iCloud content. This is the same as MobileMe and Exchange since Exchange had OWA. It's meant as a quickie secure method to retrieve your data without being at a computer or an iDevice. MobileMe's downfall was that it had no offline version that synchronized properly with Outlook or Mail. It was a kind of stupid in-between tech that resembled Intellisync of years past. This weakness in data synchronization is just a poor implementation of their servers.

2. Total data on iCloud is not actually calculated. The 5GB of data is for Contacts, Calendar appointments, e-mails, iWork documents, App data, settings, and Camera Roll. 5GB is actually the standard amount of space when you take a look at modern exchange accounts. It normally stores around 2 years worth of e-mail, all of your contacts, all of your calendar, and a good amount of documents to give you an idea of how much space 5GB really is. The reason why it isn't unlimited space is due to server design and what I think is possibly using an Exchange server type architecture.

Items such as music, apps, books, and photo stream have unlimited amounts of space or have preset limits such as $25 per year for up to 20,000 songs. The other thing I find strange is that it doesn't say video anywhere which means that video storage will still have to be on your Mac or Windows PC.

3. 5GB does not count as centralized storage since I believe that iCloud will split everything. 5GB is the total amount of storage space for items I listed above. The way that iWork applications work would mean that Pages, Keynotes, and Numbers would get stored in their respective places. Any other types of data may not be synchronized but it's too early to tell.

4. Safari can download files just like any other browser or mobile browser out there. Just tap and hold to save your content. If you're saving pictures, it gets deposited in the camera roll and that gets synced with iCloud. Other files may require other applications to open which the "save" process would be delegated to so you can "save" files in an application.

5. I'm pretty sure you can turn off certain parts of iCloud when it gets released. Exchange server works the same way to where I can turn Contacts, Calendar, and E-mail on and off depending on what I want synced. It would only sync with incremental updates so if Apple is smart, they'll use a similar structure since it looks like they are starting to use Delta updates. (Delta = "changes" in mathematic lingo)