some questions about inserting new hard drive in black macbook (2006)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kathiekp, Dec 21, 2010.

1. kathiekp macrumors newbie

Hi.... I purchased a Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S02858 to replace the dead hard drive in my black macbook (late 2006). I have the old hard drive out. Here are my 2 questions.... first, there is no pull tab on the new hard drive. How will I get it out if I need to? The one I removed is a Seagate and has a covering on the top with the plastic pull tab. should I put that over the new hard drive? It comes right off the old one. Second, when I compare the connectors there is a section, looking straight on at the pins, on the far left that in the old one has 4 pins. In the new Hitachi there is just an empty compartment. Does that mean it won't work? Or should I just try it? If I leave it without the plastic pull tab how will it come out if I have to get it back out?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put the plastic pull tab on the new drive and the four pins aren't used in Macs. they are there for older computers.

3. kathiekp, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

kathiekp thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that was fast! One thing about putting the old plastic tab cover on, the old seagate drive had little nubs on the sides to hold the pull-tab cover. This one doesn't have the nubs but it seems to fit fine. I think it would pull it out. Is that ok? I'm not describing it very well. If I didn't put the pull tab on would I be able to get it out without that tab if I needed to get it out?

ps I tried putting the pull tab sleeve over the top.... once I got the new Hitachi drive in the sleeve just pulls back out. I left the new hard drive in without the pull tab, re-screwed the drawer thingy, and the disk utility recognized the new drive. Right now I'm restoring from my external time-machine back-up. I'm worried that the new drive will be loose in the compartment because it doesn't have the 4 nubs sticking out on the sides to hold it on the rubber rails. And how will I get it out if need be without the pull tab?

4. kathiekp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you SO much! That's just what I needed. Obviously I don't have the right screw driver to remove the nubs from the seagate drive so I can get that sleeve on. And the drive is in the bay without the pull tab. I guess first I have to go looking for the right screw drivers. hmmmmm.... Apple Store? Radio Shack? Best Buy? I don't have time to wait for them to come from other world computing, unfortunately. That video was super helpful! :)

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You should be able to get the necessary Torx T8 driver at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc. They generally can be purchased individually or in sets.