Some Questions About Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ash9414, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

So I've just read through all of the posts in this thread and I'm considering jailbreaking my iPhone 3G when I get a Mac within the next month. I only intend on going through this process to install the multitasking, home screen wallpaper and battery percentage that didn't come with the iOS4 update which I was a bit disappointed with. Do you think this will take a hit on the battery because nothing extra will be used in the background compared to my iPhone now (I don't think anyway).

I'm not really sure whether I'd actually use Cydia or not because the only things I probably change is the theme, but tbh I'd probably not even do that as I'm really paranoid about the placement and how the icons look. Most themes don't cater for all icons that I've got on my iPhone so that would really bug me.

Also would the extra features slow the iPhone down that much if I only used multitasking when I needed it and deleted them from the multitasking bar when I was finished with them? It would be good to know from someone who has done it to their own iPhone 3G.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I know iOS 4.0.2 has just been released but I just read somewhere on Google that it is still possible to jailbreak with the latest version of redsn0w because the exploit that that uses hasn't been fixed.

2. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

So does no one have an iPhone 3G anymore? I'm sure some of you do.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

lol.
    Multitasking + Homescreen Wallpaper are the 2 things you want that will bring your 3G to a crawl.
    iPhone 3G already struggles with iOS 4.x.x. Just read around the forum.
    Stay away!

4. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've read about the apparent "problem" with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and at first I could tell the slightly lagg when loading certain apps. But now that I've been using it for a few months, I've got used to it and it feels ordinary for me now. What I was wondering is how much more will it slow it down? Also, if you jailbreak with redsn0w to just enable the three things I said at the start of this thread, and then decided I wanted Cydia, could I rejailbreak the jailbroken iPhone 3G to enable Cydia also? Thanks.

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I had an iPhone 3G that I updated to 4.0 and my phone was worse than this. That wasn't anywhere near usable for me, especially as apps would crash the phone all the time. I tried all the fixes mentioned and nothing helped really. But yes you can re enable the features you mentioned, but make sure to never install Cydia again when you have it already installed.

6. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

My iPhone isn't as bad as that video I don't think and hopefully it never gets that bad. So you're saying I can jailbreak once to get the added features, and then if wanted could go through the whole process again to enable Cydia also? Would I have to untick the option to enable multitasking etc when in redsn0w? And what happens if you try to install Cydia more than once?

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes you can just tick the options you want. You shouldn't install Cydia over itself because it will overwrite important files and leave them inconsistent with one another, not to mention permission errors will occur. In short it's a big no no.

8. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, ok, so if I decide to rejailbreak for a second time, and already have the multitasking etc installed, should I tick the boxes that are next to "Enable Multitasking"... or leave them unchecked? Would it matter, or would it get rid of those features if you left it unticked even though they were already on the iPhone?

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Disabling Spotlight searches (thus eliminating indexing) will speed up a 3G on iOS 4.

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I'm not sure what it'd do if you left them unchecked, but my gut feeling would be it would leave multitasking enabled if it already was. Saying that, there would be no harm in checking it again to be sure as it just edits a plist to say 'multitasking = TRUE' and it can do that over and over

11. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok, thanks. Onto another question, sorry for all the questions but I like to be 100% sure on things before I do them; when I go ahead and jailbreak, after I've synced normally with iTunes and backed up my iPhone, do I then start up redsn0w or so I have to restore my phone, complete the jailbreak and then restore from backup? I'm guessing the first option is the one you're meant to do as it's easier, but that would mean jailbreaking with all my data still on the iPhone. Are you meant to do it like that?

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

With redsn0w you don't need to restore. Just create a backup first in iTunes then run redsn0w. It'll reboot and you'll have a jailbroken phone with your data and settings still on it.

13. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

So easier than I thought then! I've watched literally hundreds of videos showing the process but no one ever tells you what to do first. :/ I've heard that you can copy the backup file that you made before the jailbreak to another folder so you can restore to that file later on to get rid of the jailbreak. Do you know where the backup files are kept in Windows XP and the process I would have to go through to unjailbreak my iPhone?

Thanks for all your help, you've been great. :)

14. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

If you want to make a copy of your backup, in case iTunes overwrites it, then navigate to Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup on your computer. There'll be a bunch of folders with random character names. Just copy the one that corresponds to the time and date of the backup.

To unjailbreak your phone you put it in restore mode and then when asked by iTunes, choose to restore from the backup you made before you jailbroke it.

15. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you don't Shift-Click (Option-Click) on the Restore button under the summary section of the iPhone. And I'm guessing you mean DFU restore mode? Can you tell me how you do that? Thanks.

16. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502