Some questions about my MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ted Witcher, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

I just bought the 13", used it on the road recently, love it.

1) In terms of long-term health, if you don't use the computer for long periods, is it better to let the battery drain completely and then charge when needed, or will leaving a charge on for a long time damage the chemistry somehow -- reducing performance?

2) I have one glitch that's probably user error: I can't get anything to stick to the desktop. Desktop items appear in the desktop folder, but I guess there is some view setting I can't find to make them appear on the actual desktop. Any thoughts on this?

3) As far as SS memory goes, I'm assuming that Apple, with their experience with iPod touches and iPads, has implemented some super-secret proprietary wear-leveling or garbage collection -- i.e., their version of TRIM. Has anyone heard of any confirmation of this, or will it remain my assumption?

4) Pursuant to number three, is there anything I can do, any behaviors I can change, to extend the performance of the drive? I know about leaving plenty of space on the drive, but should I be conservative with deleting, or even storing random unnecessary files on the machine, or anything of this sort?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. IIRC it's recommended to leave it at ~50%

3. There is something in the firmware that tries to keep the performance at the best.

4. Just use it normally. Constant writing will reduce the lifespan so if you're downloading a big file (like 10GB), download it to external HD instead if possible. I wouldn't worry too much though

3. KPOM macrumors G5

There is an article on Apple's web site about battery calibration:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

As for the SSD, Apple hasn't said definitively what, if anything, they are running instead of TRIM. However, AnandTech reported that the Toshiba controller has its own, OS-independent "garbage collection" to maintain performance.

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Control click on the desktop and choose an option for "Keep arranged by..."

5. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

Oddly, all the choices under Finder's View menu are greyed out.

6. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Can you give us a screenshot?