Some questions about my new Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lomafor, Jun 10, 2010.

1. lomafor macrumors member

lomafor

Hi, I am new to Mac. I bought my MBP just 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions that I would like to hear you guys opinions on those. ;)

1. feel slow/laggy when playing some video files, especially RMVB files on most of the video players.

Mac OS is new, I even reinstall the OS. Problem still there. I also tried most of the big name media players including VLC, MPlayer, MPlayer Extend, RealPlayer SP.
    The ONLY player that play RMVB super smoothly and beautifully is MPlayerX, second is Movist. Movist still play little bit slowly on RMVB, but better than the rest.

2. Occasionally black screen when booting into BootCamp Windows 7.

This black screen thing happened the first time when BootCamp utility ask for Win7 install disk, I insert the disk and restart, then black screen. The machine is still running, but nothing on the screen. I have to turn it off by pressing the power key. After I turn it back on, it became normal and boot into Win7 install process. It also happened few time when I press Option key on startup and select Win7 partition. Everytime I have to turn it off and on again.

3. Steam games performance on Mac is not so good as in bootcamp win7.

I played HL2 Original once on my new Mac (before I reinstall the OS, but the system should be new as it just arrive). I used all default recommended setting and the performance is not so good. Not unplayable, but it is not enjoyable too. I tried the same game with highest setting on Win7 steam. It is beautiful and much smoother.
    As I said, the OS is completely new and clean, only few apps installed. I am not running this on battery mode or running anything that will affect the performance in the background. (I am not newbie on computer :()

My config is: i5 2.4, 4GB Ram, 5200RPM HD, 330M 256MB.

Are those problems common or they are just happened to me only? If it is only my machine, how is that even possible consider everyone else use the exactly same hardware and software (newly installed OS).

besides those concerns. I am extremely happy about my new MBP, both hardware and software.

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

1. Well I know that at least flash is poorly done on the mac, for whatever reason. HTML5 and some codename of a flash beta that is supposed to be much better is on the way (starts with a G I think)

2. Windows is a whole other animal, but yea, the blinking cursor in the top left?? Repair disk permissions, reset PRAM (reboot and hold Cmd+Shift+P+R)
    There are lots of threads on this.

3. 10.6.4 is almost here, look for a nice boost.

4. As you can see by my sig, we have near the same laptop. :)

3. lomafor thread starter macrumors member

lomafor

Thanks for replying.
    1. It is codename gala. I installed it, no issue on flash so far.
    2. I don't have blinking cursor on the top left corner, nothing, just black screen. Since windows didn't even boot yet, (Right after I press Win7 partition) I don't think it is Windows' problem or anyone. Could be the hardware compatibility thing.

I want to know if all of you have ever encountered those 3 issues at all?

4. lomafor thread starter macrumors member

lomafor

5. lomafor thread starter macrumors member

lomafor

OKAY, nvm for the last 2 questions, did anybody have the 1st issue that i had?

6. Reapur macrumors regular

Ive never heard of that video format before, how do the more standard video formats perform?

Edit: Ouch real media variable bit rate ? Dont use Real Media file format its pretty much dead.

Stick to .mpeg .mkv .avi or any h.264 encoded video format for best performance.