Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
OK, I just got a Wii, and I had a few questions:

1) How do I get the web browser? Is it in the Wii Shop? Does it cost money?

2) I have a 32 inch flat screen sony Trinitron TV (not HD) with component input. Will the component cables give me a significantly better image than the composite ones that came with the system? Remember, my TV is not HD.

3) Sometimes the cd drive glows blue for a while when the system is off. What is this?

4) I couldn't find an ethernet port. Is there only WiFi? Do I need to buy something extra to use a wire?

5) Does it make a difference for the system if I lay it flat or stand it up?

That's it for now. Thanks for takin a peek!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
OK, I just got a Wii, and I had a few questions:

2) I have a 32 inch flat screen sony Trinitron TV (not HD) with component input. Will the component cables give me a significantly better image than the composite ones that came with the system? Remember, my TV is not HD.

3) Sometimes the cd drive glows blue for a while when the system is off. What is this?

4) I couldn't find an ethernet port. Is there only WiFi? Do I need to buy something extra to use a wire?

That's it for now. Thanks for takin a peek!

1. It in the shopping channel and I think it costs money now.

2. Technically yes, but I don't think you will notice any difference.

3. That means that there is an update available. Check the messages.

4. WiFi only, but there is a USB > Ethernet adapter available.

5. No.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Yes, it's in the Wii Ware part of the Wii shop. It costs $5 (500 points).

dunno

You have a message from a friend or a message from Nintendo.

Yes, only WiFi. You need to buy a LAN adaptor.

Not that I'm aware of.

Beaten to a crisp.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York

Is your tv capable of progressive scan (EDTV)? If so, you will notice a difference, if not, there might be a difference, but it would probably be virtually unnoticeable.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs

I have mine hooked to a non-HD Trinitron and can see a difference between the S-Video (bought another cable) and the composite (the cable carries both and both are routed to the receiver so I can do quick comparisons). I would imagine that the composite will give even better than S-Video but it's your call on the improvement being big enough to warrant spending money. I did my cable to avoid confusion since the most commonly used devices (TiVO/Cable box, DVD and Wii) all use S-Vid so the TV doesn't switch inputs very often.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, I don't think I am going to do it. My 360 is hooked up to the component input, and I only have one, and I am far too lazy to switch them back and forth.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Component cables on a CRT look great.

Composite = fuzzy
S-video = sharper
Component = sharper + better color

*** edit monkey...
Just saw your other post. I wouldn't invest in componet for the Wii given your current setup.

<]=)

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Component cables on a CRT look great.

Composite = fuzzy
S-video = sharper
Component = sharper + better color

*** edit monkey...
Just saw your other post. I wouldn't invest in componet for the Wii given your current setup.

<]=)

Yeah, no component, but my s-video port will be open, as my computer will be upstairs so I won't be able to connect it. Do you guys think s-video is worth the upgrade?

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
I have mine hooked to a non-HD Trinitron and can see a difference between the S-Video (bought another cable) and the composite (the cable carries both and both are routed to the receiver so I can do quick comparisons). I would imagine that the composite will give even better than S-Video but it's your call on the improvement being big enough to warrant spending money. I did my cable to avoid confusion since the most commonly used devices (TiVO/Cable box, DVD and Wii) all use S-Vid so the TV doesn't switch inputs very often.

Composite video is worse than S-Video. Component video is better than either of them. I know it's easy to confuse the two names, but they're two completely different cable types.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Composite video is worse than S-Video. Component video is better than either of them. I know it's easy to confuse the two names, but they're two completely different cable types.

Yeah I assumed the second composite he said meant component.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.