Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

03Cobra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
I just have some general questions. I currently own a Pc, and getting really tired of it, lock ups, viruses, crashing. Seems to be getting worse and worse no matter what I do. I am wanting to try something different, and get an iMac 24". It will mostly be used for photo editing, internet, and some games. I just bought a DSLR and shoot alot of pictures in raw, my current Pc just cant handle it, its so slow drives me crazy. How are the iMacs with task like these, this is my biggest concern. Thanks, any help will greatly be appreciated.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
iMac handles photo editing easily, even RAW file editing. You don't have to worry about viruses or crashes

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Make sure you get loads of RAM if you are working with RAW files in Photoshop. 4GB is minimum, but 8GB is better if you can afford it.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
I was in the same boat as you, I had a vista desktop that i spent $800 on and i could not believe what i did. I ended up selling it 6 months later for $700 and bought a 24" imac, i do not regret it one bit and to tell you the truth its been the best decision i have ever made. If i were you i would reformat your pc sell the thing and but the imac.

03Cobra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
I was in the same boat as you, I had a vista desktop that i spent $800 on and i could not believe what i did. I ended up selling it 6 months later for $700 and bought a 24" imac, i do not regret it one bit and to tell you the truth its been the best decision i have ever made. If i were you i would reformat your pc sell the thing and but the imac.

Thanks.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'm a designer and use my iMac with Photoshop, ILlustrator, InDesign, Safari, Mail, and sometimes a few other programs running at once, with just 2GB Ram. My iMac can handle 4gb and having the standard 2gb is still an overall better computer than the PC counterpart. I plan on waiting until it feels a little slow to upgrade to 4gb so it'll last longer (in my eyes).

The iMacs currently will handle your stuff just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.