Some Questions About Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macintosh 128K, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Macintosh 128K, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Macintosh 128K macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am new to the forum but a long-time Mac user. I have three questions about Pages. The first question is: I have a file that is about 150 pages long and I want to save just a 10-page section of it and make it into a new file. I can't figure out how to do this. Along with that question: I tried to copy and paste the section I wanted to save in a new document but it didn't copy the pictures over (there's a picture on pretty much every page). Is there any way to copy pictures over with the text? And my third question is: I am getting some format errors in files that I type. I was wondering if someone could tell me what's going on. Here is a picture of one of the messed up files:

[​IMG]

Those spaces are not tabs. The computer claims they are only 1 standard space. When I backspace it closes the entire gap but as soon as I space it will make this gigantic-type space. There has to be a way to fix this. A patch? Or just some other way of doing things?

Thanks in advance for the help. I really tried to figure this out but couldn't seem to find any good answers. :eek:

2. simsaladimbamba

Please use TIMG tags instead of IMG tags, to make the horizontal scrolling less annoying.
    Just add a "T" in front of the IMG and that's it.
    Click the [​IMG] (bottom right of your post) and edit your original post (OP).

And you can make screenshots via these methods: http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

Where does the text come from? Is it a Word document or did you enter the text in Pages?
    And which version of Pages and Mac OS X do you use?

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The clipboard does not preserve formatting because there is no way for it to know how the receiving document will (or even can) handle complex clipping. Therefore Pages is only, in this case, letting you copy text.

To do what you want to do:

1. Open your document in Pages
    2. File Menu > Save As (name of your new 10 page document)
    3. Set the insertion point at the beginning of the text you want to copy
    4. Press HOME or jump to the beginning of the document if you have no Home key.
    5. Hold down the SHIFT key and click at the beginning of your document. Everything before the part you want will be selected.
    6. DELETE
    7. Do the same thing from the point after what you want to the end of the original document. Remember, you are working on a copy.
    8. SAVE

Doing this, in practice, is much quicker than it sounds.

4. Macintosh 128K thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good idea about the saving 10 specific pages of a document. It worked well (and was fairly obvious, I just didn't think of doing it that way). About the formatting on Pages being messed up, I have OS X Version 10.6.6 and Pages v.4.0.5.

5. Macintosh 128K thread starter macrumors newbie

Hellooo? Anyone know how to fix those formatting errors? I would really appreciate the help...

6. Macintosh 128K thread starter macrumors newbie

Please, someone help me! Has anyone experienced this issue before?

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

As it's only 10 pages, your best bet is to copy and paste the text into TextEditor, then turn it into plain text (Shift + Command + T) and then paste it back.

You'll have to reapply any bold etc.

That's how I strip dodgy formatting out of text.

AppleMatt