Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Im planning to replace the Optical drive in my mid 2010 uMBP with the MCE Optibay or OWC's kit. I have a bootcamp partition on the HDD right now and was wondering how I could extend it to the SSD if at all. Also (this sort of goes along with the partitioning question), how would I go about linking the HDD/SSD to share storage space while only using the SSD to boot up? Or is it as simple as choosing my startup disk as the SSD and then just putting the programs that I will use most on it? Any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited:

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
I've got a 256 GB SSD in the MCE OptiBay and a 1 TB HDD in the normal HDD bay, which is a good configuration if your hard disk doesn't already have SMS protection. You just need to backup your Windows installation with an adequate program (I recommend Shadow Protect 4.0.5) and then you can split the SSD into two partitions, one for Windows in NTFS format and the other for the Mac OS X operating system. Simply install Mac OS X to the appropriate partition and restore the Windows image to the other. Then select the HDD as your home folder in Snow Leopard and all your personal documents can be saved there. I currently use around 35 GB of Mac OS X space and 40 GB for Windows 7, with all of my multimedia and other documents stored on the HDD for storage. This makes reinstallations of either operating system quite simple, since no time is lost copying files over to the formatted drive following a clean install.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
I've got a 256 GB SSD in the MCE OptiBay and a 1 TB HDD in the normal HDD bay, which is a good configuration if your hard disk doesn't already have SMS protection. You just need to backup your Windows installation with an adequate program (I recommend Shadow Protect 4.0.5) and then you can split the SSD into two partitions, one for Windows in NTFS format and the other for the Mac OS X operating system. Simply install Mac OS X to the appropriate partition and restore the Windows image to the other. Then select the HDD as your home folder in Snow Leopard and all your personal documents can be saved there. I currently use around 35 GB of Mac OS X space and 40 GB for Windows 7, with all of my multimedia and other documents stored on the HDD for storage. This makes reinstallations of either operating system quite simple, since no time is lost copying files over to the formatted drive following a clean install.

Great thanks this was very helpful. I also plan to keep all movies, music, etc on the partitions on the HDD and just put the programs I use most on the SSD partition as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.