Some questions about second hand iPhone 3GS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Might see several of these threads after iPhone 4 is released, but my friend is getting an iPhone 4, and will be giving me his iPhone 3GS.

My question is this -

It is an O2 pay and go iPhone 3GS bought several months ago, I also have an O2 pay and go sim I currently use in a Nokia 5800 (is a fairly new 3G sim btw), will I just be able to put my sim into the iPhone 3GS and it work like that? Or are there things regarded activation or being locked to a specific sim I should know about? What about iTunes, is it linked to his PC only?

Maybe there is even anything else I should know? I heard maybe visual voice mail won't work but that's fine.

Cheers guys, I trawled Google and found it difficult to find specific answers.

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

In America, you could use the same SIM, but would need to call AT&T to have the account upgraded with a Data plan

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your sim will work fine but you'll get raped for data. Ask your friend to pick up the o2 iPhone sim when they get there phone. These have 12 months data free for an initial 10 quid topup.

As for iTunes the second you plug it into your computer it'll ask to be wiped. All the apps and music will be gone. The only legit way for you to keep them is to sync with his computer but then there is the issue that you need your friends password to download new apps and updates.

4. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

If his iphone is O2 PAYG and your sim is O2 PAYG then yes you will be able to use it. However unless you have a tariff or bolt on that covers internet usage, you will be charged £3 per MB that you use in the UK, and £6 per MB outside the EU.

visual voicemail will not work on PAYG, but is known to work on pay monthly tariffs :)

hope this helped :eek:

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Oh and visual voicemail only works on o2 contracts not payg

6. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

You can use your exisitng SIM and iTunes will just update the phone to your current iTunes settings (assuming you have some..)

I'd suggest speaking to O2 though to see if you can get onto a iPhone PAYG tariff to get a better deal on data, as it will cost you a fortune on your current plan I imagine.

If you're not planning on using it for data, then you're fine as is...although you wont be getting the most out of the phone (unless you can connect via wifi then you're fine)

EDIT - seems everyone else already posted the same as me above...

7. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

My O2 pay and go is already unlimited data+texts so no worries about charges, sounds like everything is fine.

Was curious what the activation actually does then, if not locking it to a specific sim, does it just start the warranty rolling?