Some questions about SSD migration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by minhvn, Feb 7, 2014.

1. minhvn macrumors newbie

I have a base model 13" 2012 cMBP (i5/4/500). It was very laggy, so I decided to upgrade to 16GB of RAM. It was much better but I still feel somewhat sluggish especially the boot time of the OS and apps, so I decided to upgrade again, this time is to get an SSD. The Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 128GB to be exact.

I'm planning to clone the data of the old HDD to the new SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. But I do have some questions regarding the cloning process:

- Right now I've used about 400GB/500GB of my HDD. Of course that exceeds the capacity of the new SSD, so I can't clone everything. Since Downloads, Music and Movies take up the most space, I have to exclude those folders in the cloning process and leave them in the HDD; then create a symlink for them after the migration. Does it sound good? Should I go with symlinking or is there any other better solution?

- That being said, I'm planning to remove the optical drive and replace it with the old HDD. Is it okay to put my HDD there? Or should I just keep the optical drive and use my HDD as an external drive? (it would be incredibly annoying to carry an external drive all the time, but oh well, safety comes first!)

- Although I've made my decision with the Plextor, do you think they're a good SSDs for the Mac? Anyone has experiences with them? In Vietnam, we don't have Samsung or Crucial SSDs (well in fact we can but without any warranties). So I'm left with Plextor, Kingston, Sandisk, OCZ, Corsair and Intel. Given the Marvell controller, fast performance and reasonable price, I think Plextor is the best option for me.

So thank you in advanced and have a nice day :)

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I used a fenvi optibay in my MacBook Pro 15. I would put the SSD in the DVD drive spot. I believe there is some issue with hdd in the DVD spot in regards to stopping the drive if there is sudden movement. Just leave all your data on your hdd and install a fresh OS on your SSd. You may also want to look into setting up a fusion drive setup

3. minhvn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! Will the performance of the SSD decrease if I put it in the optical bay?

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Little to not all depends on the SSd.