Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shellda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Hey all!

This is my first post...

I ordered a white wifi only ipad yesterday from apple.com..... SO excited to get it.

How long do you guys think it will take?

Any who- I am trying to find a good list of apps... I use the calender alot, and I need something similar to bento, but more robust and easier to use. Suggestions?

I would like to go 100% "tablet" and drop my macbook pro. Any suggestion on how, or sites/articles to read?

Just want to organize my life using the iPad :)

Thanks!!!

shellda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I pretty much want to be 100% mobile (aka run everything from my iPad) just looking for suggestions on how :)

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
If we start calling everything that is portable, has icons and can run programs "magical" then I am living in a world full of magic.

As for what to get... Everyone has different goals with iPad. For me, I had to buy OmniGraffle, Logmein and iTap. Those 3 were for work and were hardest to hit my wallet.

And ability to be 100% mobile heavily depends on what you need to do. I carry iPad and netbook around at all times. iPad for minor work, netbook for serious stuff. I know that Steve would never put a serial port on the damn thing so I can access router consoles.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
What do you plan on using your iPad for. If you are a student...Well don't put your MBA to far out of reach. If you write alot of emails it may not be for you. A virtual keyboard is not a physical keyboard. If you have to right quite a lot of words in one setting then you may be not like it. If you just browse the Internet then it will be good for you allowing you quick and easy access to the internet. If you like playing those pathetic games on facebook you won't be able to on the ipad but you will be able to download thousands of games on the app store. You will also as of now still need your MBA for Itunes.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
What do you plan on using your iPad for. If you are a student...Well don't put your MBA to far out of reach. If you write alot of emails it may not be for you. A virtual keyboard is not a physical keyboard. If you have to right quite a lot of words in one setting then you may be not like it. If you just browse the Internet then it will be good for you allowing you quick and easy access to the internet. If you like playing those pathetic games on facebook you won't be able to on the ipad but you will be able to download thousands of games on the app store. You will also as of now still need your MBA for Itunes.

You don't need another computer to access iTunes; you can buy and download music, video and Apps directly on an iPad. Once you've activated an iPad, iTunes on the desktop is only required for performing backups and updates.

The virtual keyboard is pretty good, particularly in landscape. It isn't as good as a physical keyboard but it's certainly usable for moderate length emails and forum posts. The iPad can also be used with a Bluetooth keyboard if you occasionally need to bang out a lot of text.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I would suggest getting AppStart and AppShopper first - the first will give you a nice intro to what's available, the second will let you make a wish list and then tell you when the apps on it go on sale.

I don't like the built-in calendar at all, I'm impatiently waiting to get Week Calendar HD after hearing rave reviews of the iPhone version here and elsewhere. It should be available any day now. It seems to be the most iCal-like calendar app, without a lot of extra features that I don't really want or want to pay for.

What specifically do you do on your MacBook right now that you'd like to do on the iPad instead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.