Some questions about the new iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hajime, Sep 9, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I am considering to buy the new iPod Touch. I live in different countries but at least for the next few months, I will be in Hong Kong.
    I have a cell phone with a built-in camera.

0. Do the 32GB/64GB models have the same processor/bus as the new iPhone 3GS? Apple website mentions that the new models are 50%
    faster than those from the previous generation. However, it does not say which processor. I think the iPhone 3GS is 2x faster than those
    from the previous generation. How the new iPodTouch compare with the new iPhone in terms of speed? With the video/camera feature,
    I wonder if I should buy the iPhone GS without phone contract.

1. Is the case made of metal or easy-to-get-scratched plastic?

2. For MBPs, it is worth to get Apple Care as they break often due to poor quality control. Is it worth to get Apple Care for iPodTouch?

3. Can I get an exchange if I receive a iPodTouch with a dead pixel? I wonder if it is better to buy from Apple Online Store due to its
    1 week full-refund policy. As you may know, most stores in HK do not allow refund/exchange.

4. It looks like the battery is not user-accessible. Is there a way to add an external battery or exchange the battery? If I use the
    iPodtouch to access the internet and play videos often, I may run out of power soon. What do users usually do?

5. Is there a virtual desktop feature for iPodTouch? For example, move the finger to either edge of the screen and the desktop expands?

6. Just like Leopard, I can change the system language from English to others such as Japanese/Korean. Am I right? It looks like I can switch
    the system language easily.

7. I heard that jailbreaking the iPhone allows one to install non-Apple approved application. Sometime I also hear about unlocking the
    iPhone. What is mean by unlocking the iPodTouch? Do I have to specify that I want to buy an unlocked version of iPodTouch?

8. As the new iPodTouch models do not include a camera. Is 32GB large enough?

9. Can I use Skype on the new models to make free local/international calls/sms/emails?

10. (To users in HK). What is the least expensive/free way to access the internet via wireless connections? I hope to be able to access the
    net in different areas in HK.

Thanks.

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Nobody knows what the internals are yet. We'll see in a few days. I wouldn't recommend getting a 3G though; with no contract that would be well over $400 (for a 64gb touch).

The outside has decent scratch resistance, but all scratches are glaringly obvious.

I can't answer that, as that's a very subjective question; I would probably say yes to be safe though.

I believe you need 3 dead pixels for a replacement.

I don't get what you mean; the iPod touch doesn't have a "desktop," instead it has it's springboard, which you launch apps from.

I don't know.

Unlocking refers to using a different cell phone carrier. You don't have to unlock an iPod.

Depends on your needs.

I believe so, but it's not free.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you for your reply.

Under Linux, one can set the desktop size to be larger than the one being shown on the physical screen. When the user moves the mouse to one edge of the screen, he can shift the viewpoint as needed. I wonder if there is such a feature/utility for iPod touch. I personally do not want to reduce the font size to see more things on the screen. Such feature/utility could be useful to those who view large websites/
    documents under Safari and Acrobat Reader.

Why Apple does not allow users to change the battery inside the iPod touch and the iPhone? What do users who use these devices heavily do when they run out of power? In the case of the MBP, I just carry an extra battery.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The pages in safari load to the width of the device - whether it be landscape or portrait. You can THEN "pinch" to zoom in, or double click on a column to zoom right to that area. There is no need to extend the "desktop" - because it already IS extended so to speak...

I'm going to guess you haven't seen one in action in person? You need to go play with one somewhere! (or go watch some of the demos/ads on the apple website)

There is a product for the iPhone that will add battery life - it's a "sled", i'm not sure if there is a version for the Touch or not. I think i read about it in the iPhone Accessories forum.

And, the back is metal since the prior poster didn't actually say. Just like my 5g Video iPod.

Here is a link to one external battery company: http://www.mophie.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you for your info.

The juice pack seems useful. I hope that they will sell one for the latest iPod touch soon.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I assume that everything that worked with the 2G will work with the 3g?

7. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Well, I hope they do, accessory wise.
    The dimension on the 2G and the 3G are identical, so I'd assume that the cases for the 2G would work.
    But if anyone has tested this, I'd like to know as well.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yeah, I'm hoping all the dock accessories will work.

9. mrbass macrumors member

yes quick reboot changes languages and you can easily have Japanese and Korean keyboards enabled so you can flip through input languages in any app.