some questions about the new mbp, cpu/fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nonick, Nov 3, 2008.

1. nonick macrumors member

hi,
    i have a few questions about my new MBP :
    1) is it safe to run the fans at 5000rpm constantly using smcfancontrol?
    2) will it affect the lifespan of the fans?
    3) which temperature is optimal for the cpu? is there something like an "optimal" temperature at all?
    4) would it be better to use an external cooler instead of "overlocking" the fans?

thanks!

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, running the fans at higher speeds won't hurt your system...

However, it WILL reduce the overall lifespan of your fans. You also need to watch for increased dust intake.

Why are you running your fans at 5,000RPMs? Even after gaming, I've only seen fans go up to 6,000. Something around 3-4000 should be OK, as long as you're not constantly taxing your system.

3. nonick thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your answer...
    i'm running the fans at this spped to keep the cpu temperature under 80.
    but i'm not sure about the optimal temperature and if it's ok for cpu to be that hot, then i could reduce the minimum speed to 4000 or 3000.
    what is the normal cpu and gpu temperature? the lifespan of cpu should increase if you keep it as cold as possible, shouldn't it?

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

hi,
    i have a few questions about my new MBP :

1) is it safe to run the fans at 5000rpm constantly using smcfancontrol?

It's safe in that it won't cause damage to the computer. The side effect is that your machine will be noisier, more dusty inside, and when you're doing non stressful tasks the fans will be running fast for no reason.

2) will it affect the lifespan of the fans?

Yes, they will wear out sooner. They will most likely become noisy when the bearings begin to wear.

3) which temperature is optimal for the cpu? is there something like an "optimal" temperature at all?

No, the CPU is rated up to 100C. Even at that temp it is rated to last several years. The cooler the CPU runs the better, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

4) would it be better to use an external cooler instead of "overlocking" the fans?

It is always a good idea to use some sort of cooler whether it is passive or actively cooled. I've used a passive cooler for years with all of my notebooks. It's just a good practice to get into. I would suggest going that route first.

5. nonick thread starter macrumors member

ok, if the cpu is made to run at 100C, i'll simply let OSX and Windows manage the internal fans and i won't set the minimum speed higher than 3000 to prevent the fans from wearing out.

i guess i'll buy an external cooler as you suggest.
    is a passive one better than an active one?
    could you tell me the name of your passive cooler?

6. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

7. nonick thread starter macrumors member

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I also have the new MBP and I tried to install smcFanControl but it says that my system is not supported.

Can you guys run it ?

Thanks,
    Tex

9. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Version 2.1.2 works perfectly fine on my new MBP.. (With the exception of not being able to control right or left fan independently regardless of the sync sliders option).

10. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

What is the home page of smcfancontrol ??

Cos here they say the last version is 1.23

11. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

What is the home page of smcfancontrol ??

Cos here they say the last version is 1.23

Edit, I think it is this one :)

12. nonick thread starter macrumors member

hi,
    yes, thats the homepage of smcfancontrol. i got my version from there.
    after you install it, there will be a message saying that your mac isn't supported, but it doesn't matter. it works fine with the new MBP.

13. Morrius macrumors member

I've noticed that many of the complains on fan/HD noise and heat come from people who upgraded to 7200rpm drives. Has anyone felt any problems with either heat and/or fan noise on a standard, off-the-shelf MBP? I'm trying to decide between an MP and an MBP, and I'm wary of a machine that runs so hot it will require me to download a fan control program.

14. brentsg macrumors 68030

I personally think you're more likely to wear out a fan by working it harder than you are to wear out a CPU by running it hotter (but still within Intel's spec).

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The new MBP runs cooler than previous models. If you use it on AC, with the 9600 chip selected, and lots of CPU usage it will get hot, but not as hot as previous models. When on battery with the 9400 selected for normal tasks, it barely qualifies as slightly warm, even with a 7200rpm drive.

There is no way this machine "requires" fan control software.

16. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Agreed ^^^

MBP upgraded with 7200 rpm here and I have no fan or heat or noise issues, even with the better graphics running.