Some questions about Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chrispoole, Sep 4, 2009.

1. chrispoole macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying a Time Capsule, but have some quick questions before I purchase that I hope someone can answer.

Back when it was released, there were some issues with Time Capsule and Time Machine (stopping backups when closing the laptop's lid, etc.).

Are these issues addressed now?

Also, when connecting a few external hard drives and printer to the unit via USB hub, can the external drives be used as backup drive for Time Machine, or is it the internal drive only?

And finally, does anyone know how it stands with upgrading the internal drive? The 1TB model doesn't seem too expensive, but the 2TB model seems horrendous, if the only change is the drive. I have the technical skills to change it, but don't really want to if it means invalidating the warranty. Being able to use external drives may stop this though...

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I haven't had any issues.

You can use either one.

I would suggest not opening it up until after the warranty expires. Use the 1TB for a year, then if you need more space crack it open and replace the drive.

3. tonyled macrumors member

i have had my TC for about 2-3 months now and couldnt be happier. i use it to backup both my imac and mbp and have had zero issues with putting either to sleep (which i do often) or closing the lid on the mbp (which i also do often).

i also upgraded the HD in mine as well. it is the easiest simplest process i can describe. it will take you twice as long to peel off the rubber footing than it will to perform the swap.

here is a howto on the drive swap: http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/