Some questions before buying...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Mar 22, 2011.

1. zeiter, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

zeiter macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am about to buy a new MBP, but I have some questions before ordering it.

1: Is the Apple ssd that bad (supported by TRIM in os X) if I don't do transfers a lot? The only transfer I do is like downloading stuff from the internet or watch some 1080p snowboard videos. I do not have a network nor a server. Everyone seems to talk about the Vertex III one, is it that better? Should I wait for this one?

2: The SSD is 128gb the one I am looking to put it. Now, I have a silly question. With my music on itunes, how can I manage to put it all on an external drive? Is 128gb enough? Is it better to buy the 500gb hdd instead if I am not doing anything intensive?

3: I currently have the nvidia 8600m gt with 256mb of memory. The new videocard with the base model, is it really better? I guess so, but should I buy the 1GB one if I don't do any 3d softwares..I might do photo editing later on when I get a reflex cam.

That is all for now, thanks a lot of your input and help me make a nice decision.

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

the info you provided is vague and is work to decipher.

Don't play games then vid card doesn't matter much.

Wouldn't do my own SSD in a MBP because of lack of Apple support. Wait until Lion. Or buy with Apple-installed SSD.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

For the SSD, if you search the forums, you will find a WEALTH of knowledge and info.

The new MBP are superb. I had a Penryn 2.5 GHZ w/512 MB 8600GT card. The new one I got is 2.2 GHZ i7 w/1GB 6750M and it is night and day difference. Let me say this.. I had NEVER played a game on the computer before, but now I have bought Borderlands and NBA 2K11 and want to get BlackOps and such.