Some questions before i get the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NosebagTime, May 9, 2012.

1. NosebagTime macrumors newbie

Hi all together...
    I know i will buy the new model iMac with everything possible in it.
    I have been reading here the past 6 months or so and i am so ready to do it....if the damn thing apears any time soon...?!!?
    But i do have some questions...
    When i run windows via bootcamp, does it mean the Mac is then susceptible for all those viruses and stuff? If so do i need the usual protection just for the windows part?
    How far away from your head do you need to put an 27' iMac on your desk, so you wont get grilled(or gettin a headache)?
    Wireless mouse and keybord looks nice but how often do you change batteries?
    As my wife works alot from home... Anybody done SAP remote accses work on an Mac? Just in general is it possible? Like VPN ?
    I heard that late 2011 imacs support up to 32gb of ram, true or false?
    And if true and if the new model can be pimped up like that too, will it be fast like Warp 11 or would the improvement only be noticeable by some nerds?
    I know, pretty wild questions but i need to know :))
    Thanks in advance for your help and best regards from good old Germany !

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Windows partition is vulnerable, but not the Mac partition, unless you intentionally give Windows access. Windows malware cannot run on Mac OS X.
    Yes, you need malware protection on your Windows installation, just as you would on any Windows computer.
    I can't speak for the mouse, but I get 4-6 months of heavy use out of a set of batteries on the Apple Wireless keyboard.
    If you're referring to running a Windows computer remotely from a Mac, I do this all the time, using TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.
    True. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    It completely depends on your normal workload. Many users never need more than 8GB of RAM. To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes and yes.

Everyone is different, but I would imagine around 16-18" or so. Not really different from any other monitor.

They seem to last a long time - my wife's keyboard gets around 4-5 months, the mouse about 3-4 months.

VPN works fine in general. Not sure if SAP makes an OS X client.

I don't believe so. Current models top out at 8 or 16 Gb.

Warp 11 IS only noticeable by some nerds. :p

4. NosebagTime thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thats fast.... Thank you !
    16-18 thats inches right?

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Whether you get warp speeds with a new computer depends on what you do. Some software runs better on some hardware. If you were using Adobe Premiere, for example, you might want to check with Adobe to see what graphics cards etc work best with it. Might be fast enough on the iMac for you, might not be.

Rob

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, the " sign here means inches. If you prefer to sit closer, you're welcome to use centimeters.

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Distance from computer to user (operator) is "arm length with flat knuckles. Then, +/- 6" - depending on comfort feeling.

Aggree that typical home user of file/print/surfing only needs 8 GBs of RAM. I have total 12 GB of RAM (2x2 Apple + 2x4 of 3rd party) and it works great. At 12 GBs, Swap File size = 0, Page Out = 0 as well. If you think you need 8, then install 12 - since memory is very low cost these days. And, never buy Memory from Apple. Buy 3rd party - at 1/3 the cost...

8. NosebagTime thread starter macrumors newbie

*Update*

Hi all...
    I placed the order for the 27 imac i7 with 1tb Fusion, the 2gb graphics and standart 8gb ram. 32gb ram from corsair allready on my desk,
    That thing is supposed to be here around the 14th of march... I try not to check the delivery status every other day to prevent gettin completely mad...
    I am sure i will be a pain for you guys once it arrives since its my first mac ever... :cool:
    One quick question for now... Getting a 3rd party dvd drive instead of the SuperDrive only means i cannot use the eject key on the keyboard right?

9. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

With older Macs we can press option key + eject key to open the tray in external third party dvd writers. With the new iMac I think you can do the same unless Apple changed things