Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baba Ganoush

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I was curious on how long a current ipod touch would last. I know there is an update coming out soon but what about after that? How long will the current model of ipod touch receive new software updates after they release a new model of the touch? Or will the current one receive software updates for years to come?

Baba Ganoush

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
In September

See buyers guide

Purchase Now..its fine

So if i purchased now, how long would the ipod touch receive software updates? Would I still be able to purchase future updates even if they come out with a new generation of the touch?

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
I think it's safe to say that the current iPod Touch and iPhone will continue to be able to receive software updates from Apple for a VERY long time. Unlike regular iPods, the Touch runs iPhone OS, which has so much potential with apps that the software will be updatable as long as there is an iPhone.

The only thing that's not future proof is the hardware- and if you don't have a problem with that eventually becoming outdated and you've decided against the iPhone- there's no reason not to buy now.

Baba Ganoush

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I think it's safe to say that the current iPod Touch and iPhone will continue to be able to receive software updates from Apple for a VERY long time. Unlike regular iPods, the Touch runs iPhone OS, which has so much potential with apps that the software will be updatable as long as there is an iPhone.

The only thing that's not future proof is the hardware- and if you don't have a problem with that eventually becoming outdated and you've decided against the iPhone- there's no reason not to buy now.

Thats mostly what I am worried about is the hardware getting outdated. Is there anything major hardware wise that is rumored for the next ipod touch that would warrant a wait?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.