Some questions concerning transition to a 2018 Mac Mini. External and Displays

DonCarlos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Las Vegas
Hello. Sorry about the length of this.

Well after many years of success with my 2012’s mac mini’s , I am looking toward the future and realize that updated OS for these models will at some point come to an end. So a 2018 is under serious consideration. I am going to keep one 2012 mini for music rendering and things, and sell the other before the OS gets obsolete.

Here are some questions.

-Photo Library. I currently have my photo Library (90K photos) on an 8 TB WD, USB 3.0 enclosure.

Q: So how do I transition this external USB 3.0 to the ports on a 2018 Mac Mini? Is there an adapter or do I remove the drive from it’s current enclosure and put it in to something else? Or ????

I may be making this more complex than it needs to be,,,,if the answer is “just hook up your current 7 port USB 3.0 HUB to one of the two USB ports".

The same with my Backup TM that is in a USB 3.0 enclosure. I only plug it in back up in when needed.

-Displays

I use two Dell P2417 displays that have HDMI and or DP and or VGA options. and actually I could link the displays DP yo one another, but I don’t. I currently use one display on a DP and the second display on an HDMI. Each display has a usb 3.0 uplink, and two USB 3.0 ports on the side. I don’t even use those ports actually

So, how do I transition these, for use with the ports on a 2018 Mac Mini?

Peripherals (hub, mice keyboard and such).

Currently I have my peripherals, linked to an AmazonBasics 7 ports USB 3.0 hub, and that inputed into one of my current minis USB3.0 port.

So in short any problems or comments, your transition from a 2012 Mac Mini to a 2018 Mac Mini?

How I currently use and plan to use the newest Mac Mini.
I just do normal computing and surfing and daily I download photos from my iPhone 11 to my large photo library, or download SD from my camera to the external, or download my daughters photos to the external (so it’s a collective family library ), as matter of redundancy I also automatically upload photos to iCloud, from the phone), but never upload the external to the iCloud (takes forever and it’s best to keep a separate copy to each place IMHO)

Thoughts on the 2018 Mac Mini, upgrade the RAM myself (I have done so in my older 2007 minis and both the 2012’s). I can see this is a little bit different but have the tools and patience I think to successfully do this and save some dollars. Considering upgrade to 32 GB. But I am thinking the long term way to go is the i5 258gb SSD with 8 gb RAM, and if the RAM turns out to be an issue upgrade to RAM later if needed (I have the tools, patience and experience of RAM replacement of my previous minis).

Like most of you, I just don’t want to be shelling out big bucks for a new mini. My current 512 GB SSD has about 350 GB free, because I store most my docs and stuff externally, and my photo library externally.

Your comments and input are welcome

macdos

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2017
Just hook up your current 7 port USB 3.0 HUB to one of the two USB ports.

Displays: preferably DP, otherwise HDMI. ’tis a cable matter.

Peripherals: Just connect to USB on MM or attached device (like external harddrive).

For your usage, i5 is suitable. Satisfaction is a function of installed RAM.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"So in short any problems or comments, your transition from a 2012 Mac Mini to a 2018 Mac Mini?"

a. Shut down old Mini
b. Move it off the desk
c. Put new Mini on the desk
d. Connect backup drive
e. Power up new Mini for first time
f. Migrate from backup drive
Done.

Then, if there are any conflicts, you "work them out" as you go along.

As far as the display goes, be aware of the "Mini black screen at boot" problem.
It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but it affects many.
Apple has no "solution" -- it's up to you to discover it.
The solution seems to be to find THE RIGHT CABLE CONNECTION that will mitigate the black screen issue.
For me, it was an HDMI (Mini) to DVI (display) cable.

You may not be bothered by this at all.
But again, be aware that the problem "is there".

watakoola

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
As far as the display goes, be aware of the "Mini black screen at boot" problem.
It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but it affects many.
In my case, using an eGPU with a 2018 Mac mini -
  1. Start with the eGPU and HDD enclosure powered
  2. Watch the screen get a quick blast of some random-looking lines and then go black
  3. Go to the eGPU
  4. Pull out the TB3 cable
  5. Reinsert the TB3 cable
  6. Sit back down and see a login window