Some questions in regard to the MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kevinkyoo, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Thinking of purchasing one for my computer on the daily go.

1) I've seen some posts here about battery problems, particularly with the 2015 models. Is this an isolated issue, or has there seemed to be more and more posts about this?
    2) What is the real world battery life like for the 2015 and 2016 models? What are your usage cases?
    3) These computers are limited to 30hz for 4k monitors, but what does that mean aside from watching videos and playing video games? Is there some lag associated with 30hz when dragging the mouse across the screen? Any slowness in animations?
    4) Does the MacBook have the same problem with the Macbook Pro's in that the keyboard will sometimes touch the actual screen, leaving marks?
    5) I'm thinking of purchasing this computer as a daily computer, as I said before. I would just like good performance and optimal battery life. Which model will provide that for me (m3, m5, m7)? Costs here do not matter
    6) What are your guys' thoughts as MacBook owners? Any regrets? Surprises? Would you go back and purchase another computer? Why?

2. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I've got my low-end 2015 MacBook just a month ago, here're some thoughts.

1) Not a clue, my model was barley used and works great
    2) I have not tested battery life enough to say, seems like its living up to Apple's figures
    3) I use the Apple Digital AV adapter with HDMI and the Dell P2715Q. No noticeable lag whatsoever, works great at 1080p (wish it did higher resolution though like my MBP over MiniDisplay)
    4) I have not seen such marks yet
    5) Depends on what you're using it for of course, but even my low-end model works great for everything including Illustrator and even some SolidWorks via Bootcamp
    6) Point 5 really surprised me since I got the model slowest model, thought it would be barely useable but it's actually a great machine. I will be getting a high-end MBP when it comes out, but for the time being this little machine is great and makes me question the very expensive MBP purchase a little bit...

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. The battery issue comes up every now and then, but this is a forum with nearly one million members, so it's difficult to say how widespread it is. In any case, as long as you buy a new one there's full warranty to cover you in case the battery is defective.

2. I'm getting 8-10 hours on mine with mostly web browsing (MR, Twitter, some other forums and news sites). Netflix cuts the battery by a bit, but I would say I still get 7-8 when watching Netflix. This is on 2016 base rMB.

3. 30Hz is really noticeable even in something as simple as moving the mouse. However, there's a hack for enabling 4K at 60Hz.

4. Not that I'm aware. It's of course possible, especially if the rMB is stored in a tight environment (e.g. in a backpack with lots of stuff).

5. I've been totally happy with the m3.

6. I really like the rMB. The keyboard was a bit weird at first, but now I'm in love with it. Zero regrets.

4. kevinkyoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Is there a reason why a hack is required for 60hz? Possible frying of any of the computer parts? Seems a bit strange that it's capable, but held back.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

6. kevinkyoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We don't know for sure why Apple disabled it, but USB speeds dropping to 2.0 level seems to be the most logical explanation. Users running the patch haven't reported any issues, though.

8. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

My guess when I learned about this restriction was that Apple would release a USB-C capable external display sometime in the future. Then rumors started coming out. Then Apple announced they won't be releasing any Apple displays anymore. Was a nice dream for a while

9. CatBookPro macrumors member

CatBookPro

1+2: No real battery problems for me... but: My battery life has been "ok"... It really depends on what you do with it I guess. For me (during the day for work): I use Windows 10, and have all my personal stuff on the macOS side. Yeah... that's wicked vague lol... but here's the deal: On the Windows 10 side - No battery gain over any other laptop. I last about 3-4 hours. Mac side: ehh... probably about 5-6. Not great - just "OK".

3. No input on this one (sorry!): Haven't used a 4k monitor...

4. My older MBP constantly had the "greasy outline" of the keys (and you know what I'm talking about lol). Haven't seen this on my Macbook. Yet :-o

5. I have the 2015 / 1.3 GHz Intel Core M: I don't know about the performance of the new 2016 m7... I personally chose the highest end one at the time. I DO notice throttling on occasion (like, when I run a couple of VMware VMs on the Windows side). But for writing docs... writing code... it suits my needs just fine

6. Perception of the device: I went into it knowing I'd probably experience the whole "throttling" thingy. Which I do. That said - I luv the portability of it vs. the MBP. It's very much a lesser machine than the MBP performance-wise... and if I didn't want the portability, then I DEFINITELY would have gone with the MBP. Just food for thought...

In short - I simply luv my rMB, and I'm glad I made the purchase :) But, just be aware: You may experience throttling, depending on what you're using it for. It's the caveat to the slim/portable/fanless thingy...

10. nnyymm macrumors regular

4) Yes, AR coating coming off. Apple just can't get it right or sourcing too many different 3rd party China factories is seriously just affecting their QC. Check this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-screen-defect.1975582/ or staingate even.

11. gtjeta macrumors member

1) no problems here
    2) In the order of 6-8 hours, sometimes even less. Word (specially before cancelling grammar check), Dropbox and Safari quite often reduce the battery life.
    3) I use all day the Dell P2415Q monitor, and see no jitter or lag at all. No visual difference with the Mac Pro at 60Hz for work applications.
    4) I cannot see that.
    5) Using it as main computer, although most of the time plugged and with external display.
    6) No major regret. I am a little worried about how durable it will be using it as main computer. It gets a little hotter than I expected (iPad is much cooler). Also, being so small and sometimes I am worried my children will break it if I am not very careful on where I leave it. I will use it as my main/secondary computer for the next 3/4 years.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

1. None here.
    2. 5 hours with screen at full power. ~10 hours when it is all the way down. I don't think the screen is particularly light, so here during summer and spring with very light evenings, I've mostly had it turned all the way up.
    4. Haven't experienced that.
    5. Very happy with my m3 purchase. The only times I see spin wheels is at random in Safari, and I have a hunch that it is due to something that isn't supposed to happen.
    6. No regrets at all. Will get jalous when the 3. or 4. generation model gets TouchID though.. :p