Some Questions (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, QT Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Nov 9, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

First off.
    iPhotop
    I want to see images in front row, is there ANY way to do it without using iPhoto?

I just do not like that program at all. I hate how I drag my nicely organized photos into it, and random events containing photos that are un-related (family pictures mixed with wallpapers, mixed with screen shots I may have of certain items, mixed with funny pictures -- are created.

The photo library itself is a big jumbled mess as well, probably sorting by events, or file name, which in any case doesn't help me. It's like having EVERY photo you own in ONE folder together. Sure, I can use a file re-namer to give certain groups a specific prefix, and have smart albums to sort them, but this is more of a hassle than is necessary. I'd much rather sort them manually and view them in "Just looking.app" where I can scroll through all images in a folder, and even set as desktop wallpaper.

-------
    iMovie, GarageBand, Quicktime Pro -- movie making basics

Forgive my ignorance. I've tried so much to work this out on my own, but all three programs just annoy the piss out of me. I never thought I'd say it, but I wish I was on Windows for this particular thing. Windows Movie Maker was so simple..

All I wanted to do was make a small video, containing One (1) photo, and a song. How hard can it be? Well apparently it's impossible to do in any efficient amount of time.

Garageband - I can drag a photo in, and a song. I can stretch the photo across the timeline to last the entire length of the song, and save. YAY!!! No. The output file is a video that is like 20 pixels by 20 pixels big. (that may be exagerated, but it's no bigger than an avatar, and the original photo was much larger than this)

It seems that it is using a small thumbnail for "Artwork" and using that as the video. I don't know why Garageband shrinks it so small, it even looks ****** on Youtube. The image must be enlarged to fit the youtube screen, (which isn't even that big to start with ) and so the image becomes very pixelated and crappy. Am I doing something wrong here? Please let me know

iMovie.
    I move an image in, and it plays for 4 seconds. Alright. It refuses to stretch more than 4 seconds, I'd have to add the same image over and over and over again to stretch the entire length of the song. There is also an annoying zoom in and out effect that iMovie does for each 4 second part. Grrr

Quicktime Pro
    I remember reading that it can make movies!! YAY I found the answer!. Nope.
    I open an image, and a song. I select all of the song and copy/paste it into the window with the photo. I play it back, noticing the static image stays there the entire length of the song, so while feeling accomplished, I save the movie. As soon as it saved, my image goes black. WTF!

The move file plays the song, and shows the image only at the very end for a second before it ends.

Seriously, why is this so hard? In Windows there was a simple Timeline. I add a photo or Photos, stretch them as long as I like, and save. Done.

Please help before I yell at the programs to death.

=========================
    also, can someone write an apple script, or give me the right commands to try and put together in a working way (i don't know applescript) that will (this will be a folder action):

-Add a number to the beginning of a file name as it is added into a folder (in a "0001_originalfilename.extention" format

I'm sure it will require something to read what the number count is at, so it doesn't add "0001_" to the beginning of EVERY file.

I just cannot figure this out on my own. I try reading other scripts to make sense, and people pull letters and commands out of nowhere, and I'm lost.

my latest attempt:

property extension_list : {"jpg", "jpeg", "tif", "tiff", "png", "gif"}
    property type_list : {"JPEG", "TIFF", "PNGf", "GIFf"}

on adding folder items to thisFolder after receiving addedItems
    tell application "Finder"
    set the_counter to 0
    set fileName to the_counter & "_" & old_name
    end tell
    end adding folder items to

--------------------

it added the "adding folder items to" after i typed "end" and hit "compile". This script does not work at all, and I really don't know where to go beyond this.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

the only option is iphoto or apature if you have it installed

garageband makes the image small because you are creating a enhanced audio file not a video, it is supposed to be album artwork

if you love windows so much, sell your mac and buy two pc's

3. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

didn't read your post but saw something about iphoto.
    iphoto is nothing compaired to aperture.
    get aperture.
    you can umm get it pretty "cheap"

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you want a timeline view iMovie 7.0 is not your application. Try downloading iMovie HD 6. The slow zoom in/zoom out is called the Ken Burns effect and is applied to any inserted images if you set it in your Project Properties to have it automatically applied for anything pictures dragged in. You should be able to adjust an image on-screen duration to more than 4 seconds, but I forget at the moment what the maximum limit is...

I don't know about AppleScript so someone else will have to help with that.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

if you know what i mean ;) :D

6. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Alright but on a more serious note, the movie. How do I make a video containing one photo? Nothing I've tried works. iMovie, iMovie HD, GarageBand, Quicktime Pro.

I don't "Love windows" I like this mac, I don't want to go back to windows, I'm just having trouble with this one seemingly simple project. I really am not going to go purchase something big and high tech like Final Cut Studio to do something that a ****** windows PC can do easily and for free.

So. Tips, Suggestions, third party apps (that don't include "Parallels", i'm talking mac apps.)