Some questions not found in Youtube.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

Finally took the plunge yesterday and bought a 17" MBP after 20 yrs into window. Firstly, still have to get use to the keys layout as individual keys are spaced out unlike the others where all keys are closed in. The left/right/top/bottom keys are too tiny. Typing very prone to error. Hope its a matter of time getting use to it. I almost gone thru alot of tutorials thru youtube and trying to understand as much as I can thru the forums but unfortunately I'm lost on some of the simplest thing. Hope yoiu guys can help out.

1) I can creat folder and can't rename it. Right click mouse can't find any rename function.

2) There isn't any page up and down key. Can't find this function in the Command key.

3) In Safari or the default Mail, how to enlarge the top menu icon? I did a few times zoom in and only affects the text but not the menu bar.

4) For the delete key, I have to move the cursor to the last letter and do a reverse delete. How to do a forward delete (ie cursor at the first letter). It seems keys are much lesser than windows and I didn't take notice until I bought the machine.

5) I can't find any Print Screen function.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, Its a breeze for me in window, now I have to re-learn, but I knew I should get there soon. Thanks for any help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1. Command + Shift + N for a New Folder, Highlight and press "Return" to rename.

2. Function (Fn) + Up/Down arrow for page up/down. Or space bar for page down.

3. The top menu icon? What?

4. Function (Fn) + Delete

5. Command + Shift + 3 for the entire screen, Command + Shift + 4 + Space for a single window, Command + Shift + 3 + drag a box for just an area.

3. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Menu Bar can't be enlarged, if you mean toolbars, right click on them and select "Customise".

No, you can set the font in Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Universal Access: Never use font sizes smaller than ....

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​
    MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

As a correction, command + Shift + 4 gets you the drag box and command + shift + 3 gets you the whole screen. Not Sure about the windows one you're referring to, yours could be right, I just don't recall how to do it.

@novetan: It does take time to get used to all the little changes, such as the keyboard layout and such. It's really just a matter of taking the time to figure things out though. You can do essentially anything on a mac that you could do on a PC, it's just done differently.

Edit: I just looked it up, here's a full list of the screenshot options.

Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
    Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
    Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
    Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
    Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
    Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oops, thanks.

7. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502