Some questions on how the iPad works

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacBH928, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    since I don't know how the iOS works and all the sync, I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) I downloaded pretty large games to play on my ipad, but since its only 16GB, I thought I would delete them to save space. Will I lose my saved data in applications I delete off my ipad?or will it be stored in my iTunes database in the computer until I synch it back again?

2) If I delete an app/media(audio-video) off my iPad and itunes. Do I have to buy it again or I can download it whenever I want again in the future since I paid for it, and all the purchase history is saved in my account?

3)I chose not to get the warning about purchasing apps in iTunes, how can I bring it back again because I keep choosing the iphone app instead of the iPad app to download by mistake.

Thank you for your time
  2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

Sep 27, 2007
    3 earth minutes from your location....
    1. Yes, you will lose the data. This sucks but is what it is.
    2. You can download them again at will.
    3. Pay attention. :) I usually look before I order so I've never gotten a warning.
  3. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2009
    My responses are above in bold. :)
  4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    Well this sucks
    looks like a scheme from Apple to buy ipads with larger memory

So I have 3 GB of games on my 16gb iPad. Once I am done with them, all my saves gets deleted?

So I either upgrade my Ipad to 64gb or lose my data?
  5. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2002
    If you log into your iTunes Store account, I think the rest warnings option is in there.
  6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    Well, if you are willing to jailbreak, there's AppBackup.
  7. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    This is funny
    when you go legit, you are restricted and have problems
    when you jailbreak , you get a lot of good options.

Sometimes I get the feeling that jailbreaking should be a paid for App, because its so good and better than your regular software
  8. Edwhatever macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2010
    Oh you could always donate to the website of your jail breaker.
    If you have e 16gb, why dun you try play mini games on the go, leaving the real games at home on your real computer?makes more sense doesn't it?:)
  9. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    The thing is if I move the app from my iPad, I will lose the saved files!
    this sucks!

even on NES you could save files to the cartridge as far as I know.
    There must be a way to save the game some how, maybe on gamecenter, or maybe they just should let the games transfer between the iPad and iTunes with out losing your data

Do I lose app settings too if I delete it from my ipad but not my itunes?
  10. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Feb 19, 2010
    I found this post that describes using MobileSyncBrowser to create partial backups that contain only the data related to a single App/Game. These can then be restored later on; however the process looks to be pretty hairy and time consuming. It doesn't require you to be Jailbroken though.

I've got to agree that this is a problem that Apple really should fix themselves.