Some questions regarding MBP 2.4GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hemoo, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Hemoo macrumors member

Good day all, I need your help :)

I want to buy my first mac, I was planning to buy either MBP or MBA. Sadly, After reading that many people have heat problems with MBA (I really like the design :mad:) I think I will buy MBP 15" 2.4 model. I have some concerns:
    - How is the trackpad, is it the same size of MBA??
    - Is the power in that model enough to run both windows and mac at the same time without lagging?
    - Do you think it's better if I wait for the summer to see if there are new re-design models or just buy the current model (I need something that satisfy me for three years)?
    - Is there any heat problem or other problems that I should be aware of??

I have a good feeling about this, I now using an old laptop (intel 1.4 GHz and 512 RAM), so this should be a huge upgrade for me :D

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

first question you need to answer.

how will you use your mac?
    be specific with the softwares you'll be using.

then we'll go from there

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I've upgraded from a 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 to a 2.5GHz Intel MBP - it's lovely buy I wouldn't say it's a massive upgrade.

The trackpad is cool.

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It's definitely powerful enough to run Windows and OS X at the same time.

And also, the problems with the Air seem to be flukes and Apple is working it out, but I understand your caution.

Although if you want a heavy-duty laptop to last you three years, the Air is not your guy.

5. Hemoo thread starter macrumors member

I want this to be my main computer. I have a desktop, but I don't use it anymore. So basically I will use it for normal daily use (browsing, itunes, videos, e-mails, office, and converting audio/videos) I know I don't need a powerful machine to do this but since it is a new OS to me, I want to try the other heavier programs. As I said, for my need, I think the MBA would be a good choice but it has the fan issue and limited storage (and MB don't have the multitouch and keyboard's light sensor features) .

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

ahh you said MAIN COMPUTER.then the MBA is no longer an option.
    go with the MBP.. or the MB you'll be happier.

buying a computer is not like buying a pair of shoes..
    Function before Fashion..
    although the MBP and MB are fashionable in their own right

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

Final Cut won't run on an MBA.
    that's why i use an MBP.

you mentioned about video editing etc and other heavy wrk.
    even the 1.8 MBA can be outpowered by the 2.4 Macbook.

your choice now is between an MB or an MBP

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It's warm to the touch but not Hot, It is more than powerful enough to run windows and mac at the same time. It has the power to last three.

I would purchase it now simply because you will be waiting forever if you don't because there is always something new on the horizon just get one now and be happy.

9. Lyshen macrumors 6502

-The trackpad is the same size as the MBA, it may not look the same due to the size of the MBP itself.

-Power on the MBP? Definetly enough, I do run OS X + Win XP often with VMWare. Upgrading to 4GB will definetly help. (I have 4GB on mine, 3rd party ram)

-Waiting is up to you, as others have and would say, if you need it now... buy now. If you can wait, then wait.

-No major problems per say... there are small issues that may bug some users but just reading the forums you can find those. For instance I exchanged mine a few times, the Apple store manager would basically say I am nitpicking over within spec stuff. But to each their own.

10. Hemoo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your help :D I think I'll buy a MBP :cool:

11. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Actually the multitouch trackpad on the MBP is smaller than the one on the MBA.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3246&p=5

Considering the system he is using now I would buy now or otherwise he's going to be waiting till after the summer before Apple is likely to release another new refresh. Montevina will released by Intel in June but due to fact it will require a new board and possibly a redesign of the MBP I don't see Apple be ready until at least a couple months after that. The Penryn refresh was nothing more than upgrading a few components in an existing design.

12. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Ahh ok, yeah they aren't exactly the same size but for the most part close. The touchpad button is much bigger on the MBP from looking at that picture... lol.

Its up to him to determine if he needs it now. But I do agree that given what he is using now, it would probably be best to just get it now.

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers