Some questions to free some space on my HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kikedeolivos, Jan 2, 2010.

1. kikedeolivos macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to gain back some space on my Macbook's HD.

I would like to:

1) Burn all the photos and videos on DVD's. Re this, once burned, I'll delete them from the HD, via iPhoto.(show files, etc.) What would happen with the events? Say that, in the future, I want to import 20% of the photos with their corresponding events (already deleted from iPhoto): is this feasible?

2) Is there an app within Leopard OS (not Snow Leopard) that would allow me to change photo and video size, all at once or not. (batch processing?)
    Videos and photos where imported within iPhoto app.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For photos a simple Automator workflow can resize a group of photos.

3. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

Hi Miles and thanks.

Could you guide me through the process?

What about video size. 85% of my videos are 30fps, I want to keep that but would like to go from 640x480 to something smaller: do I need a third party app. for that?

4. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

I've opened Automator, dragged the folders but couldn't find a "resize images" option within iPhoto.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It sounds like it would be much easier to simply pickup an external drive in your case.

6. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

The fact is that I have an USB HD that's almost full with Time Machine backups. (it started to delete old ones 2 weeks ago)

Also, I use to shoot at 8 Mpx res and I don't need those huge files in my Mac, would like to resize to, maybe 800x600, 1024x768.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There's a resize image option in automator that uses Preview to do the resizing if you open Automator and setup as an "application" at least. It's called "scale images." You choose the resolution you want the images resized to and it'll scale the long side of the image to that pixel count.