Some questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Apple..., Sep 18, 2011.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So since jailbreaking I haven't backed up my iDevice in months (you're not supposed to do this, right?). How do I back-up then? And what happens when iOS 5 is released? Upgrading will obviously ruin the jailbreak, so how do I upgrade without losing all my hacks? I'm kind of confused and I apologize if this is a common set of questions. :eek:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant upgrade without losing your JB or any of the JB hacks.
    Once 5.0 comes out you will have to JB that firmware version.
    And then install your JB hacks again and hope they get updated soon to work with the new firmware version.
    You gotta remember that you cant install just anything and gotta make sure your packages are compatible with your firmware version or you could be stuck looking at the apple logo and your phone not starting up.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

I backup my phone all the time so no that incorrect. I also wait a while before I update new firmware. I'm guessing sometime in November I will upgrade to 5.0 give the jailbreak devs a chance to update. Pkgbackup helps make the process easy but as Applejuiced says you have to be careful other wise you make force you device to crash.

4. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Hey, thank you guys! So it is okay if I sync? And when I do do the upgrade, how do I remember which hacks I've installed and will my other data be erased/messed with at all?

5. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would be great if my above questions could be answered. Don't want to be a pain, but I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

6. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

You can plug your phone into iTunes to sync and backup your data, it will not hurt your jb or anything else. Then when you upgrade you can restore from backup and get everything non-jailbreak related back. For your jb apps and setting there are cydia apps that will back these up and restore them, but I have never tried them myself. I like to start over with a fresh phone every once in a while anyway.

7. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

So if I were to have iOS5 and SBsettings is only at 4.0 or 4.x

I would wait until SBsettings is updated to 5.0 before downloading it or it can crash the iPhone???

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

possibly. SBsettings I would say most likely some programs might not have issues with 5.0. somebody will start a thread for working and non working apps.. however it's really hard to say until 5.0 is officially released. I usually wait a good month after a firmware and jailbreak is released.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Some things might work without needing an update but I will wait for others to test them and verify what works and what doesn't.
    I don't like to keep restoring and transferring all my stuff.

10. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll just make a list and reinstall the tweaks after a JB is released (preferably jailbreakme.com!). :)

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Highly doubt that will happen.

12. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Bummer.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

14. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Thanks

Do you think that because Comex works for Apple and there may not be a person to run the site now?

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Site still works only 4.3.3 which it's meant to. 4.3.4 on up the exploit was fixed by Apple.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Now that Comex is with Apple I doubt he will be involved at all in the JB scene.
    But there will be others still putting out JB programs.
    It doesnt have to be do with jbme.com or using a website, you can get the same results plugging your iphone and running a small program.
    Not much of a difference IMO.