some questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

What is a good microphone for use with Rosetta Stone software? Also if I can use it on the PowerBook G4 would be nice too.

I have had to install a Lite-On drive since the one it came with didn't read any discs. Why does it randomly make noise when there is no disc inside?

How come a USB stick is inserted but when the computer comes back from sleep it always shows its removed and then after a little bit shows up again.

For PowerMac G5

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

It is probably the sensor checking to see if there are any disks being inserted. Does this happen when you wake up or start up? It is entirely normal if so.

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

all the time it happens.

Does anybody know about the other two questions?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No idea. Any cheapie one you find from Radio Shack or Walmart should work though. For the PB, it'll have to be USB. The PowerBooks all have internal mics. They work pretty well too. Used to Skype with a friend and the PB would be about 6 feet away and my friend heard me fine.

Considering that you are hearing these noises and the internal drive does not read any disks I'd say your drive is dead.

In System Preferences>Energy Saver uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

5. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

Even though its Leopard and a power pc I can still find one in a store?

The drive makes noise when there aren't any discs present in it. It reads them just fine. When I had the drive in a Compaq it never started randomly as if to access a disc that isn't there.

I want the computer to sleep but the USB thumb drive/stick always acts like its removed and then works again. Is there any other way instead of keeping the computer awake?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but any old POS mic is fine. One that uses a standard mic jack. Doesn't matter if it's Leopard, Tiger, Windows 7, DOS 6.1, whatever. If you want to use a USB mic instead of the internal mic on your PowerBook you will though, have to hunt one down that's for Mac.
    Ah, ok. I misunderstood. I've not ever had that happen on the G5 I've used. But then I always had the G5 set for full power 24/7. This may be part of your sleep thing, IDK.
    No. When the computer goes to sleep entirely it loses whatever connections it had. You can still have the Mac sleep but just keep the HDs awake.

7. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I asked because I tried a mic and nothing work. It work in windows but never on the mac. maybe it died or something.

But that would only keep all the discs awake not just one or can you just do one?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When you plug in the mic you want to go to System>Preferences>Sound and click on the Input tab. Make sure that external mic is set for the input source.

As to the disks, it's an all or nothing deal.

9. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I have this when I plug the mic (it is the same when there isn't a mic)
    [​IMG]

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmm…ok. Give me some time. I don't have direct access to the G5 any more (being used by someone else at work). I have a POS mic at home somewhere. I'll bring that in and see what happens.

11. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

Ok

the mic I am trying to use is a Jensen if that matters I don't know.

12. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I figured it out. I need a self powered mic or USB mic since I don't I'll just get a USB one.

I looked it up in the User's Guide.

thanks for the help. I appreciate it.:)