Some Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gamerz, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. gamerz macrumors 6502


    Oct 2, 2006
    Ok... i am very close to buying a mac but i stil have a couple of questions... Here they are:

    1. Airport license, Is it true that you need to buy an airport license to go on safari or the interent???

    2.And also if i have a router in the other room, will the airport express card pick that signal up and use that interent instead of getting a new router?

    3. I found an old HP computer with some spare parts in it... can i take the RAM out (it has 4G 2 x 2G) and put it in my new imac when i get it??? And is there a way to tell what kind it is?

  2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2006
    I don't know what you're talking about with the Airport License. I don't even know what an Airport License is. So the answer is no.

    You can use your router with your Mac.

    I have no idea about the 3rd question.

    Hope that helps.:)
  3. swiftaw macrumors 603


    Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Absolutely not.

    Yes, you can wirelessly connect to any router, it doesn't have to be an airport.

    Probably not - although without seeing the RAM can never say never.
  4. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    1. Hell no, where'd you hear that nonsense? So long as your router uses regular old 802.11g (nearly every wireless router on the planet does) your Mac will simply pick up that signal, configure itself and away you go.

    2. Yep, so long as it's using standard 802.11g protocol it'll pick it up just fine.

    3. The only RAM compatible with the iMac (and all other current Macs besides the Mac Pro) is listed on the iMac's technical specifications website. If the RAM from your HP doesn't meet those criteria then it won't work.

    The RAM must be:

    SO-DIMM (laptop RAM) PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2

    And from a decent brand, Macs are picky about RAM so it's best to get it from a vendor that guarantees their RAM will work in a Mac.
  5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

    Teh Don Ditty

    Jan 15, 2007
    That about sums it up man. The first item though was amusing. An AirPort License. Sounds like something a M$ fan boy would devise in order to prevent somebody from buying an Apple product.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    Oh, and Safari is an internet browser. You don't go on "Safari or the internet" you use Safari to browse the net, like you would with Firefox or Internet Explorer.

    Firefox and a number of other popular browsers are also available for the Mac so you're not limited to using Safari.
  7. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    The type is usually stamped on the chip somewhere, but it would be surprising if the RAM from an old machine could be used in a new machine.
  8. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

    Apr 19, 2005
    Not to open up a can of worms here regarding 'Airport License'...
    You didn't provide your location. If you are talking about the US the answer is no. However, it IS POSSIBLE that other countries may require a license for an Airport since it is a transmitter. You would have to find those requirements by checking locally.

Share This Page