Some quick Javascript help?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MichaelThomas, Jun 14, 2007.

1. MichaelThomas macrumors member

Hey,
    so I am new to javascript but I am starting to see how great it can be.
    I was just wundering if someone could help me apply what I need into the following script I am using.

I want no menu bar, scroll bars, status bars etc, completely striped down browser window so there is just the title at the top. How would I go about implementing this into my code?

the code I'm using is...

-------------------------------------------

<script language='javascript'>

var wide = window.screen.availWidth;
    var high = window.screen.availHeight;
    if (parseInt(navigator.appVersion)>3)
    top.moveTo(0,0);
    top.resizeTo(wide,high);
    </script>
    -------------------------------------------

Hope that all makes sence :)
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

As a user of the web, I URGE you not to use JavaScript to resize or move (or in this case, both) someone's browser.

It's intrusive and border-line offensive (IMO). The web is designed to use scrollbars so let them be. As for the menubar and all the other stuff, it's part of the browser, resizing and moving the window won't get rid of them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove that from your app/webpage.

However...if you choose not to heed my sage-like advice, screen is its own object. Remove the window. in front of screen and that should work.

3. MichaelThomas thread starter macrumors member

I wouldnt normally use something like this but since its going to be used for my portfolio and linked from a home page stating it will be full screen i personally see no problem using it :)
    thanks for your reply. I tried removing the window. but didnt seem to work. hmmm

4. dcv macrumors G3

I really have to agree with this. I abhor websites that try to change my window size or other browser settings, there really is no need for this.

5. CoreWeb macrumors 6502

I would suggest having a normal sized portfolio which then had a fullscreen button, much like YouTube, etc. does for viewing videos. That would be significantly less offensive. Some people may decide not to visit your site rather than look at it full screen, so I suggest that fullscreen be an option only.