Some Quirks With 2011 MBP i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

Since I finally got my MacBook Pro I am absolutely loving it. There are really just two quirks I notice. If I am playing music in iTunes with the backlit keyboard lit, if I pause the music the backlight will go out, but will return to the level I had it at if I press one of the keyboard brightness buttons. Also, the screen repeatedly dims when I am playing a video, even in full screen (when I would think a screen should keep at a constant brightness). Anyone else notice any of these/ have a fix? Thanks! :apple:

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

quite normal i think, the light form the keys turns of when they arnt used, to save battery, and the screen turns down aswell for the same reason. To stop the screen from falling asleep, u ned to adjust it in the system prefs, or u have to touch the trackpad every time it gets darker. it annoy's me aswell that the screen dims when playing fullscreen.

3. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

No, it is not normal at all. The backlit keys are only supposed to go off when the computer has been idle for some time.

My advice would be to hold off buying a new MBP until Lion is released. I think there are still some issues Apple hasn't ironed out yet. If you must buy now, I would recommend to get a 2010 refurbished MBP.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Honestly I would do the opposite. If they really need/ want a new MBP then get it shortly before Lion is released, so then you can be guaranteed to be able to roll back to SL. I will go to Lion, but if it has issues, you might not be able to roll back if it comes preloaded with Lion (as the EFI might not allow SL) . Just my $0.02 and something to think of!

5. superfula macrumors 6502

That would completely defeat the purpose of a backlit keyboard. I'm assuming you mean the screen?

Why even bring this up? No one asked about buying advice.

6. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Why, what issues do you think Lion will have? Apple has been working on it awhile so I don't think there will be any major issues with it. The other thing to consider is that the code for Thunderbolt and ATI in MBP may have not been as developed for SL as it has been for Lion. Apple managed to keep the transition secret for awhile and released Thunderbolt almost as soon as it was available so they didn't have as much time to test it with SL because the priority of the testing time according to their schedules was given to Lion. They are probably more concerned about whether Thunderbolt will work properly in the iMac than in the MBP since that is the biggest seller so that is where the limited testing time is going between availability and use in their products. The iMac is coming out this summer and should have Lion and Thunderbolt and ATI graphics only. Consequently, they are less likely to miss an issue with iMac than they are with MBP. As far as the MBP is concerned, it just happened to be at the right time and right place to get the Thunderbolt included in its release. It might have gone either way if the release conditions were different.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I don't necessarily think that Lion will have issues, but it can. Every release of software (especially the first releases) always have issues that pop up during normal use. Since they are opening the Pre-Release of Lion to select individuals to use in normal everyday situations it may not have the issues that other releases have. Look what happened with iOS 4.3 the battery life was reduced drastically and it took 4.3.1 to return the battery to normal usage levels.
    As I said, I will probably adopt Lion from the get go, but what if I don't like things about Lion and how it interacts with programs I use and require from day to day, I can at least roll back to SL (might take a wipe and reinstall, but I can make it happen).
    Look at this forum and all of the people complaining that they can't use WIndows XP (I like Xp and Really like 7 as well, so for me not a big issue) as the kernel doesn't support XP (strictly talking Bootcamp here as it still works in a VM).
    These are the issues I am talking about. People who need XP for work reasons (some corps are still using software that will not work in 7, i did work for a company that still HAD to use IE6 for proprietary software issues which limited their upgrade routes) are now left high and dry with no out other than to install a VM software to make their new Mac work like their old one did with Bootcamp.