Some RAM help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tech838, Dec 30, 2012.

1. tech838 macrumors newbie

Hello all
    Been lurking for a while getting lots of useful advice but now I'm stumped so decided to join to get some help.

I have an Early 2011 MBP 15" with the 2.2 i7.
    And I'm having a lot of trouble with RAM, I currently have 4GB (from factory) and want to upgrade to 8GB.

Ive tried 3 different sets of Crucial Vengence RAM recommended for MBP at 1600mhz, this loaded fine but after a while caused kernel panics.
    Now I've switched to Corsair "for Apple" ram at 1333mhz this loads and runs fine but after some time of using it the machine freezes and produces the 3 beeps showing bad ram.

Strangely all of these different RAM sticks work fine if I only insert one 4GB stick in (either stick and either slot - I've done a lot of switching around trying to find the problem).
    Switching back to the original factory 2x2GB its as reliable as ever again.

I'm starting to think its my MBP thats the issue, or theres a setting or something I'm not changing (I thought it was just a case of changing the sticks and restarting?).

ANY help would be appreciated, surely I'm not unlucky enough to get 8 bad sticks of RAM ?

Thanks

2. tech838 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Could just be extremely unlucky and have 4 bad sets of ram...maybe...

I've had luck with g.skill and owc ram for macbook pros. Check with Apple to ensure you're getting the right speed and ddr3 ram for your mac. Or just use newegg's ram finder.