Some random thoughts on the 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trusteft, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Trusteft macrumors 6502

Trusteft

I am thinking, first of all regarding ports. A usb dongle (no cable) with sd card, wouldn't take far more space than if the laptop came with a sd card slot. I never owned an Apple laptop, but from pictures I have seen, only a part of the sd card fits inside the slot anyway. I have a non apple laptop and when I plug in an sd card, almost all of it goes inside. If that was the original case with the apple laptops, I could see the problem being far greater.

going for all USB type C ports can mean that one has to either get the so called dongles for hdmi, etc, or, if they exist, get cables that are for example Type C to HDMI, or Type C to type B, etc. Basically no need for dongles, just new cables. Don't get me wrong, that's not free, but in the long run...is it really that big of an issue if you are going to spend thousands on a laptop anyway?

The keyboard, now I admit I almost never use the keyboard on any laptop I own because I have an external keyboard, always. I don't want to damage the laptop, spill anything on it, or just regular dirty, hair, etc. I assume that no one wants to type on a laptop keyboard for long periods of time anyway, or am I wrong?

The RAM limit. Now that is definitely something which I can see myself having an issue with. 16GB is fine for most tasks, but if you want to do some heavy work, you want more, at least 32GB. This is an issue. My main laptop (non Apple) has 32GB and I wouldn't go back to anything less. What about all the previous versions of Macbooks, are there previous or current models with 32GB as an option? Ever? I am not giving an excuse to Apple, as I said I want 32GB too, I am just trying to see this a bit more objectively. I do hope they give the option for 32GB in 2017.

The touch bar/lack of function keys. I can see the coolness factor of it, though I doubt I would ever use it. As I mentioned earlier I don't want to use the keyboard of a laptop, so I don't see myself using just the touch bar either. I wish the 15" had the option for a touch bar LESS built too. I could save that 300-400. I wouldn't mind seeing Apple releasing an external keyboard with a touch bar, as long as they keep the function keys.

The huge trackpad...as before, I don't use them, I prefer external solutions, mouse. I don't know how so many people who claim they can do serious work, including video editing, do it, but...so be it!

The CPU/GPU. For me they are fine. I have experience the need for speed and getting the fastest out there, back in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. I am over it. I rather wait a bit more, I don't care.

The price. I don't like it. The reason I don't like it is because I am paying (if I ever get one of these) for a touchbar I will not use. Ever. If there was an offer for a touchbar less 15 inch, with the appropriate price reduction, I would reconsider, even though the RAM limitation is very annoying.

Just my random thoughts.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

You have odd opinions. But that's ok. Buying a laptop and excusing the crappy keyboard like "pshhh. I don't use the keyboard anyway" I don't know...never heard that before.

But I'll bite! My opinions too real quick before I go to sleep. And I'll start with the thing you don't care much about.

THE KEYBOARD: haven't tried it yet but even if it's a marginal improvement over the 12 inch keyboard, wtf man. The keyboard doesn't need to be thin for thin sake like everything else. I like travel. But it's ok. I communicate with carrier pigeons anyway when my data cap is reached.

CPU: doesn't match the price point. So...WHAT? I'm sure it's powerful enough for some heavy face booking through.

Front facing cam is still 720? Whyyyyyy? What if I wanna be a cam girl? Ok no but seriously. This doesn't seem like something that would add a significant cost. It's just a webcam. Doesn't have to be like a 12 mega pickle camera from the iPhone 7. I said pickle. Oops. Not correcting myself.

Big freaking trackpad: when I first saw it, I laughed. It just looks comical and in my opinion, really messes with the design. I figured when I first saw it before the keynote ended, "hey. Maybe it's big so people can use Apple Pencil with it! That would be cool". Then they didn't say anything about it. So it's just big for the sake of being big I guess? Hm. Ok

No ports aside from USB c: I don't mind it personally. Just like how I was cool with the lack of headphone jack on the phone I'm using right now, I don't really care. If I needed to bring it home and hook it up to a bunch of stuff, I'd get some kinda docking station. It's a temporary pain anyway. 2-3 years everything will be USB c

Touch bar: I actually like this idea a lot and think it has a lot of potential. I don't think it's a game changer like they're making it seem like people are gonna buy MacBooks for the freaking touch bar, but it's a nice thing. But not $300-500 worth of nice! Oh gahhhh damn

Touch ID: thank you apple! Could have just added this thing and updated some specs and I would have been a happy camper. I've wanted this for so long. So useful. So awesome. So orgasmically cool.

Color: space gray looks uninspired after seeing matte black on the iPhone. Just looks like...dark silver. Ha...yeah that's a way to put it.

So...worth the price? Helllllllll to the no man. Whats it worth then? THE PRICE IT WAS BEFORE THE KEYNOTE. These small new features should be things added to entice people to buy because laptops are selling in smaller numbers. These should have been reasons to get people excited. Not charge more

3. Trusteft thread starter macrumors 6502

Trusteft

I don't appreciate the sarcasm towards me at the beginning of your post, but the rest of your post was a fine read.
    I didn't consider the color option or the touch id as I guess it's never a thing for me. I know I wouldn't buy a black one (no problem with having the option of course), as I am sick of black laptops as all the laptops I use (windows based) are black. I wouldn't say no to some more variety to colors, something bright and "fun", but as I said, it's never a real issue for me.
    Thanks for commenting, for the most part.

4. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

If you don't appreciate sarcasm, don't venture off into online forums.

I agree with most of your comments. I think that Apple could have easily put in 32GB and a AMD 480 in the MacBook Pro. Ports, fine - Apple is looking WAY too far into the future (Unlike removal of other parts, like the disc drive), but I can see within 2-3 years that this will be standard. Price, I agree. It's atrocious. Lastly, if they had a touchbar-less version of the 15", I would have maybe slightly considered.

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Remember those rumors last summer about the iPhone coming in a "deep blue" ? I wouldn't have minded that for the MacBook. Maybe

6. Trusteft thread starter macrumors 6502

Trusteft

Deep blue would be cool. Basically anything away (or in addition to) the usual black, grey, silver of electronic appliances.

7. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

I would have to agree with ghost here, that is quite the strange assumption. From students to mobile professionals, or anyone who needs a laptop a good keyboard, (just like a good trackpad) can be great or infuriating. A significant note in any laptop comparison is how well the trackpad works, and most use macbooks as the gold standard. Why pay a such a premium price for design and thinness if you lug around a clunky external keyboard /mouse setup.

They say the 16gb ram limitation is due to battery life concerns. This might make sense on the Macbook, or the air, or air replacement, but to not even have it as an option for the 15 inch "professional" model is strange.

The port issue, the more I think of it, doesn't seem all that bad, but the removal of the magsafe IS a big deal. Also why change everything at once? The other port removals, optical drive, ethernet, firewire etc were done more so one by one. Their #1 repair is now going to be broken off usb c in the port from a fall while charging.

8. Trusteft thread starter macrumors 6502

Trusteft

I never claimed my opinion to be a universal truth. I don't claim for everyone in the world to use laptops as I use. That's why I said these are my thoughts. As I am quite aware of what I like and what I don't like, what I use and what I do not use, I decided to mention that the keyboard (and trackpad) is irrelevant to me. I am not entirely sure how you or Ghost or anyone else, has a problem with what affects me and what is my opinion, but, I guess I don't really care either.

The battery life concerns about more than 16GB of RAM might be true or not, I don't know if it is just lies from them, but I still don't like it.

I never had to use magsafe, it did look cool in videos I saw it. It would be nice to have something similar for the new mbp, even if it was still with USB-C. I am sure they could find a way around it.

9. wegster macrumors 6502

No MBPs to date have come with 32GB; it's just been a hope by many of that could use it, whether for heavy 4k video editing, multiple virtual machines, or those working with very large data sets computationally. The lack of a 32GB BTO option alongside the price increases have made me hold off on this model. I'm expecting the Baby Lake refresh will move to newer and lower power-consumption memory and I'll probably pull the trigger then.

Personally, I think it's an interesting change. Undoubtedly Apple has refined it to not 'accidentally' interact with your palm, etc. Now, seeing as they have yet to see the possibilities with a convertible (ala MS SurfaceBook..) w/touchscreen, adding future pencil support to it may have some interesting options, although unlikely to satisfy true artists.

Meanwhile, a lot of people using MBPs for work, myself included - use external KB, mouse, displays, ... - so it's not of immediate 'must have' either way, at least to me.

Touch ID is cool and welcome, although I'd like to see it be enabled via phone and watch as well (to complete a touchID transaction on the laptop). The touchbar is going to have opinions all over the place - anyone with an external keyboard (and displays and ..) probably could care less, while those who are more portable and/or use the MBP keyboard primarily or always may get some cool benefits out of it - will see.

I'm all onboard for the USB-C. Will it need dongles? Yeah. So leave the dongles on the attaching-to devices and I'll throw a single 'multi-adapter' in my bag for travel. Not the end of the world, and eventually a single connection for multiple displays + USB3.1 hub + power..is pretty damned solid.

Do I wish they kept an SD card slot as a casual be semi-serious photographer? Absolutely.

10. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Ok but you stated, "I assume that no one wants to type on a laptop keyboard for long periods of time anyway, or am I wrong?"

That is a sweeping assumption, and is wrong in my experience. That would be like saying, I assume no one wants to look at the display on a laptop for any extended amount of time so I really don't care about the quality, size, or usability because I just use an external monitor. And you even asked, am I wrong?

The issue is, for an ultraportable productivity laptop a quality keyboard is important for many. If you don't want differing opinions, don't ask if you are wrong.

11. Trusteft thread starter macrumors 6502

Trusteft

or am I wrong?
    or am I wrong?
    or am I wrong?

I guess I was wrong and people love working long hours on laptop keyboards. Live and learn!
    Good thing I asked "or am I wrong?" or else people would take it the wrong way. Either way my fault I didn't type it differently. Thank you for the clarification.