Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
So I was watching youtube the other day and came across this:

Anyway, what's your opinion on it? :D

Warning: Don't open if you're epileptic!

Last edited by a moderator:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
In the same genre...

Not that it matters much in the big scheme of the universe, but calling this the same genre is a bit of a stretch IMHO (unless you mean electronic in general). The OP's is more Benelux hardcore in style, bordering on gabber; your Justice example is more along the lines of French electro a la Daft Punk.

/and no, I'm not a hipster.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Not that it matters much in the big scheme of the universe, but calling this the same genre is a bit of a stretch IMHO (unless you mean electronic in general). The OP's is more Benelux hardcore in style, bordering on gabber; your Justice example is more along the lines of French electro a la Daft Punk.

/and no, I'm not a hipster.

I believe you. I'm not into electronic music at all, I just know this song because someone made me hear it. ;)

EDIT: This is mostly a translation issue. In french we use the words "style musical" in the same exact way anglophones use the words "musical genre". I kind of "auto-translated" the expression "dans le même genre" which roughly means "in the same order of ideas" or "in a similar fashion".

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
...Anyway, what's your opinion on it? :D

I like it, but I've always liked music that dares to be different.

I absolutely hate musical classification systems and the so-called music "genres". The classifications are too misunderstood and misused to be very meaningful. The only good thing about a genre is the sense of identity/unity that they can sometimes give to musicians and listeners.

Re: the "Splittercore" tune, I'd simply use descriptions such as: abstract, electronic, intense, edgy, aggressive, rhythmic, high-BPM, and somewhat non-tonal.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
YouTube: video

In the same genre...

The new Justice album - paranoia guaranteed :D

@localoid

Well it does dare to be different, I'll give you that but still, listen to that song a week or two and youre brain will never be the same again

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia

I absolutely hate musical classification systems and the so-called music "genres". The classifications are too misunderstood and misused to be very meaningful. The only good thing about a genre is the sense of identity/unity that they can sometimes give to musicians and listeners.

Re: the "Splittercore" tune, I'd simply use descriptions such as: abstract, electronic, intense, edgy, aggressive, rhythmic, high-BPM, and somewhat non-tonal.

I think they can be okay as long as they are sufficiently specific. If I use the term "metal", it can mean anything. If I use the term "metalcore", it is much more precise. Most of the time more than one term is required - so one could use metalcore, progressive metal and death metal to refer to a specific band's genre. (In this case I was refering to Between the Buried and Me.)

But I do agree that classifying bands solely using this is a bad idea. It's useful to discover new music, but ultimately it is better to forge oneself opinions on bands by listening to them (as each band's music is unique) rather than based on a tag arbitrarily affixed to a band's name.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio

I absolutely hate musical classification systems and the so-called music "genres". The classifications are too misunderstood and misused to be very meaningful.

Bingo. I'm not a fan of these whacked-out genre names either, because it can quickly go from sublime to ridiculous-- "post-funkcore jazzertronic", anyone? :rolleyes:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'll listen to it when I'm done with this playlist. I love strange unique music...hence why my friends always bring their iPods to plug into my car when we drive somewhere :p

EDIT: Yea...don't really like either but I like the last part of the second song posted.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This isn't as bad as some of the really off the wall new age stuff with eastern instruments thrown in to sound spiritual. Overall I'm not a big fan of techno type music.

Genres have their uses. When you have a huge music library it makes it much easier to zero in on the type of music I'm in the mood for. I may want to listen to some rockabilly, dixieland, new jack swing rap, baroque, swing or disco. Otherwise it would get too overwhelming to listen to a few songs. There are many artists I would just skip by forgetting their names.

It is certainly a lot quicker to say a short genre name than coming up with a long list of adjectives as well.:rolleyes:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It's annoying, definitely don't want to hear the music that make this sound tame

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.