Some really unique music preference

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scarrus, May 7, 2012.

1. Scarrus, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012

Scarrus macrumors regular

So I was watching youtube the other day and came across this:

Anyway, what's your opinion on it? :D

Warning: Don't open if you're epileptic!

2. pkisme macrumors newbie

i had come across some even worse ones

this is relatively "tame" :D

3. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

If there's one thing you can be certain of, it's that there's a whole freaking lot of "unique" music out there... :p

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Not that it matters much in the big scheme of the universe, but calling this the same genre is a bit of a stretch IMHO (unless you mean electronic in general). The OP's is more Benelux hardcore in style, bordering on gabber; your Justice example is more along the lines of French electro a la Daft Punk.

/and no, I'm not a hipster.

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I believe you. I'm not into electronic music at all, I just know this song because someone made me hear it. ;)

EDIT: This is mostly a translation issue. In french we use the words "style musical" in the same exact way anglophones use the words "musical genre". I kind of "auto-translated" the expression "dans le même genre" which roughly means "in the same order of ideas" or "in a similar fashion".

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I like it, but I've always liked music that dares to be different.

I absolutely hate musical classification systems and the so-called music "genres". The classifications are too misunderstood and misused to be very meaningful. The only good thing about a genre is the sense of identity/unity that they can sometimes give to musicians and listeners.

Re: the "Splittercore" tune, I'd simply use descriptions such as: abstract, electronic, intense, edgy, aggressive, rhythmic, high-BPM, and somewhat non-tonal.

7. Scarrus thread starter macrumors regular

The new Justice album - paranoia guaranteed :D

@localoid

Well it does dare to be different, I'll give you that but still, listen to that song a week or two and youre brain will never be the same again

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I think they can be okay as long as they are sufficiently specific. If I use the term "metal", it can mean anything. If I use the term "metalcore", it is much more precise. Most of the time more than one term is required - so one could use metalcore, progressive metal and death metal to refer to a specific band's genre. (In this case I was refering to Between the Buried and Me.)

But I do agree that classifying bands solely using this is a bad idea. It's useful to discover new music, but ultimately it is better to forge oneself opinions on bands by listening to them (as each band's music is unique) rather than based on a tag arbitrarily affixed to a band's name.

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Bingo. I'm not a fan of these whacked-out genre names either, because it can quickly go from sublime to ridiculous-- "post-funkcore jazzertronic", anyone? :rolleyes:

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

I tried to listen to it, but i think my speakers are broken.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'll listen to it when I'm done with this playlist. I love strange unique music...hence why my friends always bring their iPods to plug into my car when we drive somewhere :p

EDIT: Yea...don't really like either but I like the last part of the second song posted.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This isn't as bad as some of the really off the wall new age stuff with eastern instruments thrown in to sound spiritual. Overall I'm not a big fan of techno type music.

Genres have their uses. When you have a huge music library it makes it much easier to zero in on the type of music I'm in the mood for. I may want to listen to some rockabilly, dixieland, new jack swing rap, baroque, swing or disco. Otherwise it would get too overwhelming to listen to a few songs. There are many artists I would just skip by forgetting their names.

It is certainly a lot quicker to say a short genre name than coming up with a long list of adjectives as well.:rolleyes:

13. rasmusonline macrumors regular

14. Hastings101, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

It's annoying, definitely don't want to hear the music that make this sound tame