Some realy noobie questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrpalmer420, Apr 3, 2008.

1. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

Hi all

1) What is the normal setting to having your monitor go to sleep and having your computer actually sleep?

2) if the computer goes to sleep then things like updates won't happen until "woken" right?

3) i have a 500 gb HD but will not be using even half of it. Waht size time machine should i get (i do not have a lot of money and will not be using the external for anything other then a TM)

4) in time machine i know it backs up every hour, but at the end of the day does it erase all those backups and change it to one "day" backup likewise does it do this for weeks and months as well?( i thought i read this somewhere)?

Thanks all

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

3) 1TB - Don't go for Time Capsule, just check ebay/electronics sites

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

1. Up to you really 30mins for display sleep 45 mins for sleep. The only thing you cannot do is have the machine go to sleep before the display goes to sleep but the controls will pick up if you try to do that anyway.

2. Correct - updates etc will not happen (nothing will happen when it is asleep)

3. You don't need to spend any money if you have an external already

4. Backups every hour for the past 24 hours, then daily backups for the past week, then weekly backups for the past month etc. All will become ccler when you start to use it

Hope this helps

4. mrpalmer420 thread starter macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

Thank you all for the quick replies.

after re reading my post i realised that this was unclear. What i was saying is that i have a 500gb HD internally ad what size external would you look for?

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

How long is a piece of string.....

I think the recommended is like twice the size of your internal but that is going to be expensive and probably excessive.

It depends how much you are going to want to back up - music, videos, documents.

Best advise if you are short of cash is to go for a 500GB USB2 external - about £50/$100 and then go from there. If you run out of space quickly then Time machine will start deleting the oldest stuff.

I personally dont backup applications or the system files but back up my iTunes library (5GB) and my documents folder which is about 5Gb.

After about 2 months of Time Machine use the backup is 25 GB.