Some resolved issues!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jan 29, 2015.

1. eyoungren, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

So tonight I got my Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter. Last night I had received my Sonnet Tango USB2/FW400 card.

But, I could not install the card because my VGA cooler on my 9800 Pro was blocking my last empty slot.

Well, tonight I thought, how can I keep my six displays and resolve this?

I have another 9800 Pro card that was donated to me, but it was a flashed card and the last time I tried it I didn't know that and so did not tape pins. I put in the fan that I had pulled from my new 9800 Pro, taped the pins and started the QS up.

Well, lo and behold the Mac booted, but just like with the FireGL X3 card the Mac did not see this 9800 Pro at all!

So…now, I am annoyed. I shut down the Mac and pulled out the card. I took the VGA cooler off the new 9800 Pro and put the fan back in BECAUSE this card WORKS in the AGP slot. It was Mac branded for a G4.

Somewhere in there I installed the Sonnet card. Booted the Mac back up with six displays and plugged in the Belkin USB adapter.

Instant Bluetooth!!!! My QS paired with my Magic Mouse and I am now using it flawlessly!

I bought a different USB BT adapter much earlier and had nothing but problems. This Belkin has a range of 100 meters and the connection is solid!

So, here I am. Six displays, all slots filled, a Magic Mouse and two more Firewire 400 ports!

Hoping harrymatic can figure out the FireGL thing, but until then I'm good!

Attached Files:

2. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Is there a picture somewhere of all 6 displays? I feel like I have to see this to really believe it. :p

3. RedCroissant Suspended

!!!AWESOME!!!

As you can see, I am so excited about this that I put the exclamation points before AND after the word. Nice job, man!!!

4. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sure…

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AGP)
    --> 22" Cinema Display
    --> 20" HDTV

ATI Radeon 9200 (PCI)
    --> 17" Studio Display
    --> 18" Gateway FPD1810

ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI)
    --> 17" Studio Display
    --> 18" Gateway FPD1810

Attached Files:

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!!!

Yeah, it's kind of a bit different than the Quicksilver you sold me, eh Red?

:D

6. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

This is SO cool. If I had the desk space, I'd probably try out a similar setup. Seems like studio displays get listed on craigslist for $20 all the time around here!

7. RedCroissant Suspended

What are you talking about???? It's the same machine it was when I sold it to you...sort of. The only things you added were: 5 displays, a couple of video adapters, some more hard rives, more RAM, a different CPU, some silly FW cards, bluetooth capability......WHATEVER! It's the same...ok not really.

See??? This is why I've told you before that I'm glad you wanted it bc I would not have been able to take the time to do any of that or even be able to afford it. You really made it the PowerMac that it should have been!

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I had to roll back to the Sonnet processor because the duals were just too unstable (GigaDesigns deserved to go out of business).

But, yeah, I've pretty much got everything I set out to get. Now, it's just peripheral type things.

I need to find the power adapters for the Firewire eyeTV devices I was sent. Recording live video from the cable box!

A few other things, but I have achieved my main objective.

I am just very glad you had the QS to sell. When next in Arizona, you have to drop by and take her for a spin.

----------

Let's just say my wife has been very nice with this monstrosity that sits in her living room! :D

My next step is going to require a bit more space. It's one thing with these smaller monitors, but I want 6, 23" HD Cinema Displays. That's going to take some space.