Some seriously newbie questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CylonGlitch, Nov 6, 2009.

1. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Ok, here is the situation I am in. I currently own about 300 DVD's and 4 BluRays (I just got it 2 weeks ago).

In the past I have used Handbrake to rip DVD's for my computer or for my phone; but I would like to simplify my collection. Storage of 300 disks and searching for something to watch is getting a bit out of control.

I figured I can rip the collection using Handbrake and have it output format for the AppleTV (I'm assuming that would be the correct setting?).

But, how do I get the videos for the AppleTV? As I understand it, you can't have them stored on an external drive, and I would need one, or two to accomplish what I want to do. I do have a PC running iTunes for my music collection, can I just connect this external drive to it and have it be the storage for the AppleTV? Will the AppleTV then see all of the videos or do I have to go in by hand and copy which movie I want to the AppleTV before playing it?

Would I be better off with a MacMini instead of an AppleTV? I do want it to be easy, I don't want to have to bother hacking the thing and making it do what I want. I also need it to be easy to be used because I have two young kids at home who I want to be able to use the system.

Any thoughts? Right now the DVD disk idea works; and I'll keep buying the BluRay disks, but it would be nice to pack away some of these DVDs so that they don't take up so much space.

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Just connect an external drive to the PC and do it through iTunes.

Handbrake is a great product, and it will work with Blu-Ray as well provided you rip it first (MakeMKV or AnyDVD). The Apple TV setting will work.

3. davegregory macrumors regular

zedsdead is correct, you can simply connect your external drives to the PC and rip movies to them and import them into iTunes. However, if you start ripping blu rays, and run them through handbrake you can only have them in 720p, and you lose DD-HD and DTS-HD. If you're cool with that, stick with the ATV, if you want 1080p go with the Mini and use something like Plex or Boxee to play your blu ray rips. (You won't even have to transcode them if you rip them with MakeMKV and use a mini). You still lose DD-HD and DTS-HD but it's not that noticeable.

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

what exactly does one do with 300 DVDs?

i have maybe 12...and i never watch any of them... therefore I only rent DVDs.

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

One buys a big ass cabinet.