Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigersoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
I find some settings not being carried over when using migration assistant, such as:

* No app permissions, such as accessability, full disk access etc. Essentially everything under "Privacy & security" in settings.
* No login items are restored. The apps themselves are all there with their settings, but not the setting to launch any apps under General -> Login items.
* Appkit drivers are not restored, need to be reinstalled.
* Fingerprints need to be reset
* iCloud needs to relogin
* All app store apps need to be rechecked at first launch

Apart from this ALL other settings seems to have been carried over as expected.

Is all this part of the normal Apple way of doing things or am I missing something? I migrated from a superduper backup, so essentially the same as a startup disk.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Time Machine does not restore a perfect copy of an older Mac. Some things do require setting up anew. Logically, especially security-driven things seem to make good sense to be freshly set up again, giving users opportunity to take advantage of new security options, etc.

iCloud needing a fresh login is probably at least partially motivated by wanting to pitch new, higher-priced tiers.

tigersoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Time Machine does not restore a perfect copy of an older Mac. Some things do require setting up anew. Logically, especially security-driven things seem to make good sense to be freshly set up again, giving users opportunity to take advantage of new security options, etc.

iCloud needing a fresh login is probably at least partially motivated by wanting to pitch new, higher-priced tiers.
Yeah it seemed like it was normal but I couldn't find anything about it with google.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Yeah it seemed like it was normal but I couldn't find anything about it with google.
iCloud re-login is normal. It has to associate a session with the specific device. You want this as a feature, otherwise anyone who steals your backup drive could have immediate access to your iCloud account.

Reactions: kitKAC

tigersoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
iCloud re-login is normal. It has to associate a session with the specific device. You want this as a feature, otherwise anyone who steals your backup drive could have immediate access to your iCloud account.
Yeah that was the most expected. The less expected ones were app permissions and login items wiped but I guess it make sense from a security standpoint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.