Some short questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cranberry24, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Cranberry24 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Second post in a short time-span but I didn't want to mess up my big first thread with these short random questions!

So, like I said before, I have a few questions...

1. Ok, here we go! First off; I have this hard cover, with a zipper, that protects my MBP, whenever I use it, I put it on my lap, unzip it, and just leave the MBP in it, protecting my lap against the heat, and my MBP against scratches on the bottom, from my jeans or w/e surface it's on. Now my question is, is this bad what heat/cooling is concerned? The "sleeve", if I can call it that, covers both sides almost entirely, of course the magsafe bends the side of the sleeve a bit, but I doubt that would be enough to create a good circulation for hot air.

2. When I browse YouTube I almost always get distracted by other videos, which I open up in new tabs. When I have multiple tabs, I let them load, by letting them play and turning off the volume, often more than 5 at a time. Is it normal that the fans go crazy when I do this? Can Safari really use that much memory that my MBP goes semi-crazy from simply browsing the web, and streaming some videos?

3. I've always been a neat-freak or w/e, I hate junk on my (PC in the past) Mac, but I have troubles with the fact that some applications put junk in my Documents, folders that I did not ask for, and such, how can I clean up my mac without causing damage? I use AppZapper to remove unwanted software, however, I've only recently got this superb software, and it's possible that I left junk on my mac when I removed apps manually...

4. Do you get the remote thingy with your MBP? I never got it, but two of my friends both have a remote, they've had it as soon as they had their macs, but I don't know if it came in the box... Should I have received one as well?

5. I've only explored airport briefly, creating a network and having people connect to it to play small games over LAN, and thats it. But how do I create a folder for other people to explore? So that when they connect to the network that I have created, they can see that folder, put files in it, etc etc... Theres a folder "Public" in my user menu thing, but I haven't found any use for it thus far...

If you have an answer to any of these questions, I will be very grateful for your reply!

Thanks in advance!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

1. It's unlikely that your MBP is receiving sufficient air circulation if you are running it in the case. It would be better on a flat surface, or on your lap. Anything that will provide room for the air to move around.

2. YouTube is a known resource hog, ramping up the processor creating more heat, and therefore causing the fans to work extra hard. Instead of letting the videos play in the background, try pausing them as soon as the page/tab opens, and letting the videos buffer. You can then play them one at a time.

3. AppZapper is good for deleting programs. For those you tried to delete before installing AZ, try searching for the names of the applications in Spotlight. It should be able to find most of the remaining files. If you're that concerned, backup everything you need and reinstall OS X.

4. Apple used to ship the remotes with MBs and MBPs, but no longer. They can be added to your purchase when you buy online, or can be purchased separately. Some people swear by them, and use them all the time. I never use mine.

5. I'm not sure exactly sure how to use the Public folder, so perhaps someone else can chime in. If you open the 'Help' menu in Finder and search for 'public folder', you'll find some good information there.

3. djtrippin macrumors newbie

1.) I couldn't say for sure without seeing the cover itself, but as a general rule of thumb, it's a bad idea to leave any air constricting cover on a laptop when running.

2.) Safari can use however much memory as the tabs you are loading take up, however the memory used has nothing to do with the fans revving up. The fans are cranking up because you're processor is parsing out however many flash videos you have open.

3.) The vast majority of applications keep all their files in self contained packages in the apps folder. usually the only other files for an application are the preferences files. Odds are, for most apps, you got everything when you deleted the app.

4.) According to the store page on Apple.com for the MBP it does not come with a remote in the box. You can purchase remotes from Apple, Amazon or a number of third party vendors though.

5.) You can set up file sharing in the 'Sharing' section of System Preferences(In the Internet & Network section). You will either want to set up personal file sharing for communicating with other macs or Windows file sharing for communicating with PC's. Or both.

4. Cranberry24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, both of you thanks a lot for the fast and helpful replies!

I will try to take a picture of the cover, that'll make my question clearer...

What the remote is concerned; Kinda stupid of me, I didn't even check the apple website, but I live in Belgium, and to be honest I doubt that everything would be the same, I mean, buying on the internet, and going to a Belgian Apple store... Anyhow, this friday me and my girlfriend are going to the store to look for a MacBook for her, so I'll ask about the remote there, as I bought my MBP there as well...

On the YouTube matter, I'm surprised a web-browser can take up that much memory! Thanks for clearing that out!

About the Applications, I know that an Application also functions as a folder with all the files it needs, thats a bad explanation, I know, but "Show Package Contents" shows the content of the app... What I'm talking about is the crap in Library, Documents etc etc... I'll have to look into that!

When my girlfriend has her MacBook, I'll have a go with the sharing, as I don't have any close friends with a Mac, I live in a PC environment :D

Thanks for all your help!

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If your girlfriend can wait a little longer, it might be worth doing so. Rumors suggest that the MacBooks will be updated in the next while. If she needs the computer now, go find one. However, if she can wait a little longer, she might find that new MBs are out.

6. Cranberry24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that sounds interesting, do you have any more information? She needs it for school, which starts in a few weeks, but as I live in Belgium, I doubt we will be getting them the same time the US does?

If you could give me/us an idea of what this update will include, that would be very nice!

Thanks for your reply!

7. Cranberry24 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so me and my GF went to the apple store today, and she's now the owner of a brand new black MacBook! We thought you could get the 2GB Ram MacBook with 160GB HDD in black, but we were wrong, and you can only get the black one with 250GB HDD for 200€ more. 90GB and a matte black design for 200€ more didn't seem that much, and as she really wanted the black one, thats the one she got... (She loved the matte, as well as the black on it's own, as do I, I would trade my metal MBP any day for the matte black, but I needed the specs of the MBP so yeah... BACK TO TOPIC :D)

We asked the guy from our store if he knew anything yet about the updated MB, but he told me that they're all simply rumors so far, and that it will probably take several months until the new ones will be released, count in a waiting time before they arrive in Belgium, and thats just way too long.

Also, my dad got this iPhone 3G 16GB Black for his birthday, well not really, as we only ordered it so far, and we're still 119th in the waiting list! Oh well, let's hope it's worth the wait, if he doesn't like it (he's a PC user, so dunno) I get it :D

8. Cranberry24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a real sleeve instead of the hard clap-open cover thing, now the sides of my MBP are completely open, hope this is healthier.