some simple things I would like to know about how the ipad manages documents

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PAC88, Apr 2, 2010.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about getting one of these tomorrow (or at least try) but before I do, there are a few things I want to understand first.

1. How does the ipad manage documents. For example, if I'm using pages or something on the the ipad and save a document.. where does it save to if I want to open it later to work on? Then, more importantly, can I quickly transfer documents through bluetooth to and from my computer? or do you have to use itunes for tranfering everything? I've never owned an iphone, ipod touch and rarely use itunes so I have more learning to do than others.

My last two questions are.. can you print from the ipad? and will there be external keyboards for landscape mode?

thank you!

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Taken from Andy Inahtko's review:

You cannot print directly from the iPad, you must transfer the document to a separate computer first. You *can* use any bluetooth keyboard; you would just have to get a stand for the device to keep it upright in landscape (the official Apple case can prop it up).

To answer your question where Pages would save a document to, it saves to...Pages. There is no real way to browse the file system of the device, you just open Pages, and it shows all the Pages documents currently stored on the device, showing each document's first page scaled down a bit and the name. iTunes then syncs all your Pages documents into a Pages folder on your computer hard drive.

3. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, that sounds great. I have one more question..

I read that excerpt from the article you quoted and really like the idea of emailing documents. He mentioned emailing documents to the device which is a great idea that never really crossed my mind till now. But will the ipad also let you email documents created on the device?

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Yeah, there's three options to export documents from Pages: Send via Email, Share via iWork.com (send the doc to an account you setup on iWork.com, so you can access it from any computer on the web), or Export as a "Pages" file, PDF, or Word file (I assume so other apps on the device could access the file).

5. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Actually, there are apps in the App Store that let you print.

6. PAC88 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is awesome.. I never thought I'd actually be excited about this thing. I want one even more since I know it will basically do everything I'm planning.

Now if there is an adapter which will let me connect a CF memory card (like the one for the sd card) this thing would be perfect.

7. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Ehh... not by Apple, but maybe a third party will make it.

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The camera connection kit comes with a USB port, so you can just connect your camera over USB and all should be fine.

I'm really excited too. Expect printing and multitasking in OS 4.0 later this summer.

9. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Would your camera just show up in the Photos app then? With the option to import?

10. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Yeah, too bad they don't sell the adaptors individually. I have NO use for the SD reader. About the only thing that I have that uses a SD card, is my Wii. ;)

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I read something earlier that said these documents could be synched wirelessly, I believe it was in a PCWorld faq or something.

Oh wait this was the blurb from the PcWorld FAQ:

And this was from AppleInsider:

I found all this information a little odd, because I have not heard anything about wireless mounting anywhere else.

12. zedsdead macrumors 68040

So far the reviews said everything was managed through iTunes.

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

That is what I thought. Imagine my shock when I saw the wireless stuff. That would be amazing. So I don't know where they came up with that.

14. BobZune macrumors 6502a

There is at least one print app (PrintCentral) that also lists the WiFi mounting capability. If they can do it, so can other third party applications.